The owner of the feed store says that....

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
20% protein laying mash is the same thing as starter grower for chicks and that I could feed everyone out of the same bag and save myself a few bucks.

What do you think about this?

No! The calcium in layer feed is bad for growing chicks.

What I do is feed an "All Flock" feed without the added calcium for layers. But I provide ceushed oyster shell free choice for the flock, and the layers take that as necessary.

What harm would the extra calcium do to the chicks? I say google it. Sometimes people on here don't know what they're talking about either.

Quote:
I think it has something to do with them growing, I've ALWAYS been told that extra calcium is bad for growing birds. On here and many other places aswell.

I've done it for years. I used to try to put out starter for the babies, but the big girls would eat it all before they got to it. Now I don't even put feeders out for them and just keep the 18% laying pellets in the main hanging feeder. The Mama pushes food out, calls them over, and they eat it just fine. The only thing I've noticed is they grow a little slower, but they still grow and turn out fine. My girls do get to free range a bit too. It's great seeing those little dibbers following behind in the tall grass if I skip a mowing.

I always keep my flock around 60 birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
For one, calcium is very hard young chicks' kidneys and can cause kidney damage. You want to risk that? There is a reason they make starter, grower and layer level feeds. I've known enough "feed store" people to know they aren't the experts people expect them to be.

Last edited:
Check the ingredient tag.
Calcium should be about 1% for grower and 4% for layer.
I've never seen 20% protein layer. He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Layer is usually 16 or 17%.

The extra calcium causes kidney problems. If not producing egg shells they can't synthesize 4 times the needed calcium.

Sometimes commercial houses lose large numbers of pullets when switching to layer.

Well, I've read enough posts on here to know the same thing. I'm not trying to fight, forums are up so everyone can put their opinions on them. I'm also not saying you're wrong, but my experience has proven my statements. She asked, so I'm opining.

Back
Top Bottom