The Pepper Baby Chronicles Indiana Winter in the Aviary

It’s been a sad week in the aviary....one of the other females got into Momma Bella’s nest and killed all 4 of her babies and today the storms flooded Angel’s nest killing all 3 of her babies. It was to dark to see how many finch babies have survived but since I wasn’t able to move the nest inside a cage, I’m doubtful they will make it. :hit

We cleaned out and rearranged in the subaviary today. We moved the guinea pigs to the floor and cut them a hole to go inside and outside. The finches have hatched babies in the new house! And we finally found the missing finches 😭 at some point over winter, 4 of them climbed inside a paper towel roll and got stuck and died.....I never would have dreamed!!!! So if you have finches in an aviary setting.....DO NOT leave a roll of paper towels inside!!!!!!!

We have finch babies hatched in the protected nest!!!! the inside budgie nest has 6 eggs that seem to have a momma sitting already and Miss Angel has resumed sitting on a new clutch in the outside nest that we moved due to the flooding. With the rearrangement, I moved a cage to the shelf inside in case we have to move anyone in there for added protection.

We have finch babies hatched in the protected nest!!!! the inside budgie nest has 6 eggs that seem to have a momma sitting already and Miss Angel has resumed sitting on a new clutch in the outside nest that we moved due to the flooding. With the rearrangement, I moved a cage to the shelf inside in case we have to move anyone in there for added protection.
Way too much work for us elderly.

Back
Top Bottom