The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Thank you, Mine are from Sunbird, but breeding stock is from Greenfire. Can you breed broodiness into a line?
Usually it is bread out of a line.

For production, some select hens that do not go broody for breeding.

@ronott1 how are your eggs doing?

I just had another PP hen go broody Tuesday. Will be picking up more eggs on Sunday.

Just curious - we have 20 other hens (SLW, RIR, Australorpes, BSL, EE). Only one in three years has gone broody. This is the third PP to go broody in two months. Are they more prone to broodiness?

Also these chicks are growing faster than the bunch I incubated last year. Is that because mama has them out foraging in additional to their chick starter?
So far none of my GFF Pitas have gone broody, neither have their offspring.

So far none of my GFF Pitas have gone broody, neither have their offspring.
If I'm not mistaken, the line I have from Sunbird originated from GFF. My hens were eight months old when they went broody.

The hen who hatched the three chicks four weeks ago, is acting like she isn't as interested in them anymore. She's not feeding them or calling them to eat anymore. I stayed home today and had a chance to really observe- she left them to go forage in the back pasture. They were squawking loudly and looking for her, she didn't come back up for a couple of hours. Is this about the time they wean? If she went broody once, is this a predictor she will be again? How often does this happen?

We put a dozen eggs under the other broody pita out in the coop Monday, put the other nine in the incubator. Excited to see what we end up with!

If I'm not mistaken, the line I have from Sunbird originated from GFF. My hens were eight months old when they went broody.

The hen who hatched the three chicks four weeks ago, is acting like she isn't as interested in them anymore. She's not feeding them or calling them to eat anymore. I stayed home today and had a chance to really observe- she left them to go forage in the back pasture. They were squawking loudly and looking for her, she didn't come back up for a couple of hours. Is this about the time they wean? If she went broody once, is this a predictor she will be again? How often does this happen?

We put a dozen eggs under the other broody pita out in the coop Monday, put the other nine in the incubator. Excited to see what we end up with!
Sunbird did get his eggs from GFF as well. Since I really don’t want broodies now I’m glad this bunch hasn’t.

I’m not sure on the times they wean, if they actually think about weaning.

I’ve had hens that repeatedly went broody while others only hatched one time.

I took a quick picture of the chicks that were out around the brooder plate:

1646629763339.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom