The Pita Pinta Asturiana

I wound up with 12 that lived. Two hatched overnight on Sunday but were gone when I checked the incubator Monday Morning.

12 is a good hatch though. Hopefully I will get at least 4 pullets.

This is the 12 of them at 4 days old

1646975208109.jpeg

They are doing very well too!

On Sunday I will be moving them to a hutch in the Garage and I expect that they will pick up the water nipple very quickly.
Do you use the nipples that go in the bottom of a hanging bucket? If so, how do you heat the bucket in freezing weather? And can baby chicks use them?

Do you use the nipples that go in the bottom of a hanging bucket? If so, how do you heat the bucket in freezing weather? And can baby chicks use them?
At first I use that type of nipple. Later I switch them to the push in type.

I know nothing about freezing here!

The coldest morning this year was 29F and the high was close to 50F that day. The fountains do not freeze at those temps.

That is a good thing about California LOL! The heat of Summer is brutal though. I did lose one in the heat last summer. They are old hens though!

I wound up with 12 that lived. Two hatched overnight on Sunday but were gone when I checked the incubator Monday Morning.

12 is a good hatch though. Hopefully I will get at least 4 pullets.

This is the 12 of them at 4 days old

View attachment 3021085

Out of the three that hatched back in Feb, two are roosters. I'm happy about that, now I can put one in with the old girls and one with the pita's. We split the yard and put in a new coop for the pp girls.

The other eggs I got from Brice will hatch in 8 days. Candled the eggs in the incubator, removed one, eight are developing so far. Ten under the broody. Wish me lot of hens :D

are pita pintas good foragers? do you think if God forbid there is a shortage of chicken feed they might be able to survive?
They are as good and any chicken for foraging.

It is hard to keep a flock going with just foraging in a city though.

Back
Top Bottom