The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Pics
Crooked toes in my experience are usually a hatching issue. Early in my hatching experience, I intervened earlier than I should have and had chicks with crooked toes. This year I've been more hands off and have only had a couple with toe issues. Those were ones that I assisted because they were the last to hatch and became shrink wrapped when I opened up the incubator to remove the gang of chicks that had hatched first. 24 hr with the sticky part of bandaids to keep their toes spread & straight and mine were fine. Your boy's toes don't really look that bad. Chris had one with a serious bent toe but he managed fine up until he went to freezer camp. If you didn't notice them when he was a chick, he could have damaged them somehow. I had one chick that was fine at hatch then at several weeks of age I noticed that he was missing one of his toes up to the first joint. I have no idea what happened to it.

Thank you, Debi. They didn't look that bad to me, either. He has no problems walking, and is still very pleasant to be around. 5 Mos. old, today. He is very watchful over the 8 hens, and seems like he will be good with them. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.

Thank you, Debi. They didn't look that bad to me, either. He has no problems walking, and is still very pleasant to be around. 5 Mos. old, today. He is very watchful over the 8 hens, and seems like he will be good with them. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.
I would love to see some new pics of your trio! I'm planning on moving my last group of Pita Pinta cockerels to the farm and sorting through to determine which of the girls to use for breeding next spring. I have several pullets that are promising!

I would love to see some new pics of your trio! I'm planning on moving my last group of Pita Pinta cockerels to the farm and sorting through to determine which of the girls to use for breeding next spring. I have several pullets that are promising!

Alright, will do. I will send you a couple pics today or tomorrow.

They actually share more with Mottled Javas.

Also Pita Pintas are bigger and the chicks do not look like Anconna chicks.

I thought my Pita Pintas looked larger than the Anconas. Thank you for the info. Their body shape is a little different, too.

Here is my Pita boy (Sam) with his assorted harem

Some pics of the pullets running around the back yard they were not cooperating very well

Here is my Pita boy (Sam) with his assorted harem

Some pics of the pullets running around the back yard they were not cooperating very well

Sam is a very good looking fella! What breed are the white pullets w/black feathers in the tail? How many Pita Pintas do you have?

Sam is a very good looking fella! What breed are the white pullets w/black feathers in the tail? How many Pita Pintas do you have?
The white ones are Delawares

I have 6 Pita Pullets in my back yard and 3 more at my brother in laws house. (3 of the ones in the back yard are from Ron's flock and the others are from Debi's)
I have Sam at home and 4 more boys out at a friends ( Could only really get away with the 1 roo and even he will be moving when I can get the breeding pen finished Sam is from Debi and the others are from Ron's flock)

very interesting, i love the look of this breed, how are they on egg laying..?? very nice thanks for all your info...!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

very interesting, i love the look of this breed, how are they on egg laying..?? very nice thanks for all your info...!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
Mine lay very well and the eggs are X large(PDF from spain says 60 to 65G).

I can't find it now but I think the red variety lays 180 to 220 a year and the Black variety lays a bit more. That is good for a Dual Purpose breed.

thumbsup.gif

I don't know, yet. My 2 pullets have not layed yet (5mos old). When I ordered and received the Pita Pinta Eggs from Debi @ PetRock for hatching, I was impressed with how large the eggs were.
Beside the look of the breed, I find, so far, at 5 mos.,1 cockerel, 2 pullets, that they are not in your lap chickens, but very easy to get along with.
My incubator hatched the 3 that I have. I handled them from day one. But, now that they are integrated into the flock, I don't seem to be very important.
idunno.gif
So goes the animal world. We all want to be with our own kind.

Back
Top Bottom