The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Pics
Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a very long time, and just wanted to stop by to say hi! It is such a pleasure to see all of these people with Pita Pintas!! And I'm so glad that everyone enjoys the breed as much us I do. We are now chicken-less since we had to move to SoCal. Beach towns don't look kindly on chickens. I miss them so much but hope to get some in the next few years when we are able to buy a farm down here. Just wanted to say hi. I hope everyone is well!

Love,
Meg
Meg,

It's so good to hear from you!!! As you see, we have been fanning the flames of Pita Pinta love around here!
wink.png
You will have some nice birds to choose from when you are ready to get them again!

Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a very long time, and just wanted to stop by to say hi! It is such a pleasure to see all of these people with Pita Pintas!! And I'm so glad that everyone enjoys the breed as much us I do. We are now chicken-less since we had to move to SoCal. Beach towns don't look kindly on chickens. I miss them so much but hope to get some in the next few years when we are able to buy a farm down here. Just wanted to say hi. I hope everyone is well!

Love,
Meg

Hi Meg,
I became a fan of the Pita Pintas through you and Ron. Now, thanks to Debi, @PetRock, I have 2 pullets and one rooster. Should be laying in a few weeks. They are a wonderful breed!

@PetRock and @ronott1,
I was looking at Anconas on BYC today. They look a lot like our Pita Pintas, except the legs are white/flesh color with the black spots.
I don't want to insult our breed and this is just a question that popped in my mind when I saw them. Could there be any relation between the two? Thanks in advance for any insight.

@PetRock and @ronott1,
I was looking at Anconas on BYC today. They look a lot like our Pita Pintas, except the legs are white/flesh color with the black spots.
I don't want to insult our breed and this is just a question that popped in my mind when I saw them. Could there be any relation between the two? Thanks in advance for any insight.
They have white earlobes and lay white eggs

The Pitas may have some Anaconas in their background but they are separate breed

There are some mottled Orps that look like Pitas alot too (except leg spots)

Pitas are often mistaken for other mottled chickens

Pitas also come in brown/red colors

Hi my expert and experienced team of advisors!
@PetRock, I am attaching a couple pictures of Pedro, Zorro's Pita Pinta Rooster. He has a couple of crooked toes. I never noticed them when he was a chick, but now it is very noticeable involving each foot. I wonder if he sat on the roost too early, if it could be genetic, or just an anomaly?
Have any of you experienced this with your Pita Pintas?
Thank You

The Pitas may have some Anaconas in their background but they are separate breed

Thank you, caychris, and I will keep this info. I didn't know there is a brown/red color. Do you know who has them?

Thank you, caychris, and I will keep this info. I didn't know there is a brown/red color. Do you know who has them?
No one in the US to my knowledge but with the brassiness that some of the birds show you could breed in that direction

As to your toe issues chicken feet as chicks can develop broken toes quite easily curled toes is more genetic and actually looks quite different.
If the toes appear to be laying on the side and have a strange angle to them its more likely a broken or developmental issue not genetic.
I had one who broke his toe early and I didnt catch and set it and it eventually became very noticeable due to the severe nature of the break would flop and move around quite a bit. I was still live but he had no control over it and would be very painful when he landed on it in the wrong position. (He would limp quite often)

When raising chicks legs and feet are something to really watch make sure to have enough soft bedding so jumping down from heights doesnt cause problems (roosting on narrow roosts impacts leg and foot development too) So usually give them something they can usually just lay down on without having to perch.

@PetRock and @ronott1,

They actually share more with Mottled Javas.

Also Pita Pintas are bigger and the chicks do not look like Anconna chicks.

Hi my expert and experienced team of advisors!
@PetRock, I am attaching a couple pictures of Pedro, Zorro's Pita Pinta Rooster. He has a couple of crooked toes. I never noticed them when he was a chick, but now it is very noticeable involving each foot. I wonder if he sat on the roost too early, if it could be genetic, or just an anomaly?
Have any of you experienced this with your Pita Pintas?
Thank You

Crooked toes in my experience are usually a hatching issue. Early in my hatching experience, I intervened earlier than I should have and had chicks with crooked toes. This year I've been more hands off and have only had a couple with toe issues. Those were ones that I assisted because they were the last to hatch and became shrink wrapped when I opened up the incubator to remove the gang of chicks that had hatched first. 24 hr with the sticky part of bandaids to keep their toes spread & straight and mine were fine. Your boy's toes don't really look that bad. Chris had one with a serious bent toe but he managed fine up until he went to freezer camp. If you didn't notice them when he was a chick, he could have damaged them somehow. I had one chick that was fine at hatch then at several weeks of age I noticed that he was missing one of his toes up to the first joint. I have no idea what happened to it.

No one in the US to my knowledge but with the brassiness that some of the birds show you could breed in that direction

As to your toe issues chicken feet as chicks can develop broken toes quite easily curled toes is more genetic and actually looks quite different.
If the toes appear to be laying on the side and have a strange angle to them its more likely a broken or developmental issue not genetic.
I had one who broke his toe early and I didnt catch and set it and it eventually became very noticeable due to the severe nature of the break would flop and move around quite a bit. I was still live but he had no control over it and would be very painful when he landed on it in the wrong position. (He would limp quite often)

When raising chicks legs and feet are something to really watch make sure to have enough soft bedding so jumping down from heights doesnt cause problems (roosting on narrow roosts impacts leg and foot development too) So usually give them something they can usually just lay down on without having to perch.

Thanks for the input. I definitely will keep a closer check on my, hopefully, chicks in the future. The cockerel and 2 pullets are 5 mos. old, today. I did have paper towels on top of shelving rubber thingys and a couple inches of shavings over that, in their brooder box. They did start perching at about 6 wks. when I moved them outside. Mainly just shavings covering the ground, then. A lot of little things to watch out for as we go along!

Back
Top Bottom