The Pita Pinta Asturiana

Here is my pita flock with the broody raised pita buff orp hybrid

These are last years pullets molted out the one in front was digging through the straw so got her at a weird angle

The bird in front is this years lone pullet from hatching you can see the hybrid in the background. I think she has started laying now so she is going to move pens so I can collect eggs to hatch

So it will be 4-5 breeder girls (taking the smallest out of the pen) and Sam.

Ill later swap with my backup guy just for some genetic diversity. (not that you get much with such a small gene pool to begin with)

Here is my pita flock with the broody raised pita buff orp hybrid

These are last years pullets molted out the one in front was digging through the straw so got her at a weird angle

The bird in front is this years lone pullet from hatching you can see the hybrid in the background. I think she has started laying now so she is going to move pens so I can collect eggs to hatch

So it will be 4-5 breeder girls (taking the smallest out of the pen) and Sam.

Ill later swap with my backup guy just for some genetic diversity. (not that you get much with such a small gene pool to begin with)
Looking good!

Do you have a list for hatching eggs yet?

Just one confirmed on it at the moment. Need to get them laying better only getting 2 a day need to be more like 4. the boy is mating more in the last day or so I think things may be coming along.

Congrats

My pitas have been giving me eggs since just after winter solstice

Mine laid for part of the winter but then quit for the past month or so. I think those big storms threw them off a little -- my alpha hen was really terrified of the wind, poor thing. She actually temporarily moved down in the pecking order because she was so not her usual self.

Subscribing. But while I'm here any reputable breeders near Sacramento, CA? Don't have room for more chickens currently, but am extremely interested in this breed for the next go-round (eggs, chicks, pullets, or hens). Thanks all! :)

Last edited:
Subscribing. But while I'm here any reputable breeders near Sacramento, CA? Don't have room for more chickens currently, but am extremely interested in this breed for the next go-round (eggs, chicks, pullets, or hens). Thanks all! :)
Hi, Welcome to BYC! There are only a few of us who are breeding Pita Pinta. It is such as rare breed and I've been trying to encourage other people to breed them. I have several people waiting for chicks so it might be a while before I have any available. I do have eggs available but the fertility is only at 50%.

I lost my rooster this past year and it kind of took the wind out of my sails. I only hatched one Pita Pinta chick last season and that was by mistake. It turned out to be a cockerel and has grown into a nice large bird even though he doesn't have as much white as I would like and has a large comb. I am currently hatching chicks. I have 14 that are 5-7 weeks old and 12 that are 1 week old plus around 4 doz in the incubator. I'll try to take some pics and post them.

Back
Top Bottom