The pleasant atmosphere of old feed stores...

happychickmom

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
SE Louisiana
So our family was sitting around the table tonight talking about how the atmosphere of old feed stores is so great: Creaky wooden floors that you can see through, along with the smell of feed and seed. Our favorite one was demolished a couple of years ago, but we still have two in our area. Brings back childhood memories. My kids are teens and 20-something, and they love them, too.

Ahhhhh, yes. For me it was the Jeddo Feed Mill in Jeddo NY. The smell of feed and molasses, and yes it was complete with creaky wooden floors! Wow it was at least 40 years ago. You won't find anything like that in Florida.

Interesting, I remember the creaky wooden floors in the old locally owned Agway as a child too.... what is it with the creaky floors? I'd go in with my dad, and while he was browsing through livestock booklets I would head straight for the new chick bin! *Peep*Peep*Peep!*
jumpy.gif
My mother, who was not at all into the farm life, would sit in the car, chain smoke and complain about the heat.
roll.png

I just read today that the "old feedmill" in my hometown is going to be saved and used as an antique shop! I'm SO happy to hear that
big_smile.png
I remember going there as a kid with my Grandma and Cousin, there was always a cat laying around I could play with, and the smell of the molasses:) I still love that smell. For all my life my family has sat in front of that store every year for the towns annual parade. Hasn't failed us yet!

Here is the feed store that I bought my chicks at this year, referred to by a co-worker.

Roach Feed and Seed on Main St. in Old Downtown Garland TX.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this ol' store .... very nostalgic.

85939_roach.jpg

Here is a blurp from their website....

In the tradition of old-fashioned genuine customer service, this family owned business has

served the Garland area for 77 years. Haskell L. Roach and his father, William H. Roach,

opened Roach Feed & Grocery on July 1, 1933.

Through the years, we have had a chicken hatchery and an on site greenhouse which

now houses our pet shop. The facility has largely remained the same, with the original wood

floors and the smell of sweet feed. Each spring we supply baby chicks and ducks. We have

everything for dogs, cats, small and large pets, wild birds, lawns, gardens and organics.

We have the products you need, even the hard to find products.

Last edited:
The farm and garden center by me is great. The first time I walked in there felt like home to me. When I was in the planning stages of my coop run design, one of the ladies was SO helpful. She was like an old friend that I hadn't seen in years, lol.

Sadly though, they're few and far between.

I've visited a few but too modern however the drug stores or all purpose stores are wonderful to look into. The smell, the sights and creaking floorboards of the Brimfield ACE hardware store with all the stuff piled in the shelves and seed drawers........sigh......... I hope they continue with it.

come to remember one.....was an old airplane hanger from WWII era.....small one for soldiers to bunk in. It may not be rat or mice proof but it was so durable.

Black's Feed Mill in Hico, TX....cannot tell you how many times I have been in that store.
Poston's in Stephenville, TX......sadly..both of these now closed....

Back
Top Bottom