The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maryhysong

Try making good friends with the produce mgr at the local grocery store. Buy up all the "discarded" green veggies. They save them for me here and I get them for next to nothing

Wish I could do that . . . The grocery stores around here throw out their discards in a locked dumpster so no one can eat them, get sick and sue. No exceptions for livestock owners.

Maryhysong

Try making good friends with the produce mgr at the local grocery store. Buy up all the "discarded" green veggies. They save them for me here and I get them for next to nothing
I do when I get a chance. Problem is my crazy work schedule and with only one grocery store willing to do this in the area there is severe competition for the discards. I have more than once called on my day off to see if they have any only to find when I arrive that someone else has carted off the lot of it.. The other store refuses to do it, they told me because someone was shoplifting and hiding it under the bags and boxes.

Tonight I placed 12 eggs in the incubator that are from a single mating pen. This pair of Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks is the best in "type" that I have so I have great hopes of a few nice birds out of this hatch. I don't like collecting eggs over 7 days but to get 12 eggs from this pen it took me all of 15 days to do so. This will be the last of my hatching till Spring of next year. In 3 weeks with any luck I'll be posting pictures of these chicks. :)

Last edited:
Tonight I placed 12 eggs in the incubator that are from a single mating pen. This pair of Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks is the best in "type" that I have so I have great hopes of a few nice birds out of this hatch. I don't like collecting eggs over 7 days but to get 12 eggs from this pen it took me all of 15 days to do so. This will be the last of my hatching till Spring of next year. In 3 weeks with any luck I'll be posting pictures of these chicks. :)

Is that an old kerosene incubator?

Fred, a friend of mine got a heck of a lot of males out of 11 chicks she got from me on Feb 22. She only bought birds from me, and I'll take some of the better males off her hand. Anyone want to tell me which ones are worth growing out?

I like the one to the back right.

Fred, a friend of mine got a heck of a lot of males out of 11 chicks she got from me on Feb 22. She only bought birds from me, and I'll take some of the better males off her hand. Anyone want to tell me which ones are worth growing out?

Point taken, different body shape, even the bar is different

Is that an old kerosene incubator?

Hi Normanack, this is a older Brower #846 incubator that my Dad bought around 40 years ago. I have replaced all the order working part with new parts and it works great. As a kid I watched my Dad hatch out many chicks in this incubator and it is awesome to sit around this incubator on day 21 and watch my kid get excited when they hear the chicks start to hatch. It brings back great memories of my Dad, brothers and me sitting around this incubator years ago. :)

Here is the top to the incubator. :)

Last edited:

Well, to be frank and honest, you gotta tote a lot of feed to these fellers before making any kind of choice. We simply raise them all, all of them. Virtually every last one. Then, come late October or early November, we go through and get us some really nice table birds. I leave the 2 or 3 finalist to grow to 14-16 months. They simply will fool, absolutely fool you, if you jump prematurely.

To me? This is the joy of a dual purpose bird. Since you have to wait so dog-gone long to make harsh decisions (obvious sober faults excepted) you may as well enjoy their meat. This is a true dual purpose bird and we need to just figure on this, in my book. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom