The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fred,

Where do you order your poultry shipping boxes from? I need to get some.
There are many, many sources. I don't recommend anyone, particularly. Watch out for having to buy a package of 5 or something. If you are selling, have the customer buy the box, but have it shipped to you. Most shipping box sellers are accommodating.

http://www.oakridgegamefarm.net/store/proddetail.php?prod=OAK-083

This is by no means the only source. Google/shopping poultry shipping box

Helping Others and Giving Back

A common mis-perception is that breeders of high quality birds make money. I know of almost no one who does. A corollary to this is that well bred birds are very expensive. This is also not true.

The fact is that helping others get a start is something many breeders are interested in doing and motivated to help the right people. It does not do these breeds any good to "dead end" birds. This is something that those who just wish to add pretty birds to their backyard collection, (and pullets only in particular), sometimes do not understand.

But this is the beginning of culling season. Getting "culls" from a breeder does not mean you'll get deformed or defective birds. Those are never knowingly or intentionally sold. Reputable breeders do not do this. But when a breeder puts 80-120 chicks on the ground, many of the them are stunning, wonderful birds, it is just that the breeder may be zeroed in on addressing a particular goal and will only be keeping those birds that have very specific traits.

If you are serious about breeding Plymouth Rocks to the standard, why not reach out to some of the breeders on this thread. If they have no birds or don't feel their birds are ready to share yet, that's fine. They'll tell you.

Helping Others and Giving Back

A common mis-perception is that breeders of high quality birds make money. I know of almost no one who does. A corollary to this is that well bred birds are very expensive. This is also not true.

The fact is that helping others get a start is something many breeders are interested in doing and motivated to help the right people. It does not do these breeds any good to "dead end" birds. This is something that those who just wish to add pretty birds to their backyard collection, (and pullets only in particular), sometimes do not understand.

But this is the beginning of culling season. Getting "culls" from a breeder does not mean you'll get deformed or defective birds. Those are never knowingly or intentionally sold. Reputable breeders do not do this. But when a breeder puts 80-120 chicks on the ground, many of the them are stunning, wonderful birds, it is just that the breeder may be zeroed in on addressing a particular goal and will only be keeping those birds that have very specific traits.

If you are serious about breeding Plymouth Rocks to the standard, why not reach out to some of the breeders on this thread. If they have no birds or don't feel their birds are ready to share yet, that's fine. They'll tell you.

Just wanted to say, Today while in a junk/antique shop I bought a bunch of Farm and Home newspapers. The issue I'm quoting was the January 15th 1910 edition. There was a lot of information but the part I'll share here was.

"an average profit of $120 per hen during 1909 was made by Ernest Kellerstrass, of MO. from a pen of 30 White Orpingtons. He sold from these hens 1024 eggs at $2 each and raised 418 chickens on which he places an inventory value of $5 each making and income of $4138. He charges up to these fowls, $538 for feed, attendance and advertising. These are actual firgure from what is probably the finest lot of White Orpingtons in this country. Mr. Kellerstrass sold last spring to Madam Pederewski a pen consisting of a male and four females for $7500. "

It goes on to say.

"A profit of $10 her hen was made last year by W.A. Blakeslee who keeps a small flock of White leghorns at the rear of his house." He lives on one of the best residential streets in one of the prosperous cities of Hampden Co. Mass. The past year his flock numbered 30 hens and they laid a total of 4863 eggs. "

There is more but I thought you might find it as interesting as I do. I have other issues and they cover politics, taxes and the Post Office wanting to not deliver packages to rural areas. Do you know who was president in 1910?

That's simply insane profits. When the average annual income in 1910 was $750 it's mind boggling that a single Orpington hen could produce over two months of income.

Obviously it was the gentry class who were poultry fanciers. There income far exceeded average.

Here's an article from the American Agriculturist April 5, 1919

LL

I had hoped you could read the caption but maybe not so here is what it says.

Good Type and a Poor Type of laying hen.

"The hen pictured on the left laid 239 egg, while the other one laid seven during the same period of time. Not the ddp, full breast and the crop, the straight back and correct slope of the tail. Then note the same points of the other bird. The good type means eggs. Which kind of hen are you raising?"

The article does mention feed and housing too. The author uses meat by products in his feed. Not something I do. I think folks kept better records than us hobbyist. After all this is how they earned a living.

That's simply insane profits. When the average annual income in 1910 was $750 it's mind boggling that a single Orpington hen could produce over two months of income.

Obviously it was the gentry class who were poultry fanciers. There income far exceeded average.
I don't know about profits, but outfits like Greenfire Farms are achieving similar sales today. In my mind it is a shame that "rare" and "colorful" are more valued than "well-bred" and "productive" today. But the truth is that societal values change, and that crazy is still crazy.

Here's an article from the American Agriculturist April 5, 1919

LL

I had hoped you could read the caption but maybe not so here is what it says.

Good Type and a Poor Type of laying hen.

"The hen pictured on the left laid 239 egg, while the other one laid seven during the same period of time. Not the ddp, full breast and the crop, the straight back and correct slope of the tail. Then note the same points of the other bird. The good type means eggs. Which kind of hen are you raising?"

The article does mention feed and housing too. The author uses meat by products in his feed. Not something I do. I think folks kept better records than us hobbyist. After all this is how they earned a living.

Good stuff!!!!
clap.gif

Hi,
I know of Blakeslee but not so familiar with Kellerstrass. I agree with
the other poster on the record keeping. They did a lot of things
back then that we have disposed of in the "modern era". Now we have
"complete ration formulas". Just feed them a formula with some grit
and they will be fine.".
Things we have lost in the process and are just now rediscovering:
1. the science of feeding grit to poultry.
2. The use of charcoal in raising chicks.
3. The importance of sprouted grains ( particularly forage oats) in raising
chicks and supplementing green feed to POL hens and sexually maturing cocks.
4. The importance of proper treats for chicks, fed not to entertain but to
improve development.
5. Systems for determining breeding worth of laying hens.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:
I don't know about profits, but outfits like Greenfire Farms are achieving similar sales today. In my mind it is a shame that "rare" and "colorful" are more valued than "well-bred" and "productive" today. But the truth is that societal values change, and that crazy is still crazy.
What is important to keep in mind is that folks needed to earn a living off their flocks and paid much more attention than us hobbyist. Many hatched their own birds. Home incubators were a big deal then. They also kept good records and monitor feeds they used. The gentleman in the article mixed his own feeds. Changed them according to the seasons. Checked his housing and space.

Titles of parts of his article:

"Sunlight Means Profit" -

He talks about placement of his coop, ventilation and windows. "The end of the rainbow comes down through these windows onto the floor and this is where we get our gold coins".
big_smile.png

"Must Have Clean Litter" -

He talks about the "scratch area" of his coop and the "litter area" as though they are separate places. I think he had dirt floors.

"When the hens are kept in continuously , the litter, which is dry straw, is changed every two or three days; at other times about once a week. Cleanliness has much to do with keeping the hens healthy."

"Heavy Feed Is the Rule" -

"I'm convinced that if a good percent of farmers would sell half of their flock and feed the other half the same amount of feed they would change a losing proposition into a most profitable one. There are as many best ways to feed hens as there are best kinds of cakes. Different successful poultrymen with whom I am acquainted each have their own mixtures of feeds and methods of feeding. Meat by product of some kind are very essential as part of the feed in winter".

There is more on feeding, but to much to type out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom