The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
got my firs ones on last Sunday second hatch today

Hey ya'll I was talking to a breeder in North Carolina who had some heritage Barred Rocks. While trying to communicate things happened and I lost contact. I am looking to get some hatching eggs hopefully this week. But am looking for some one with good quality "heritage BR" in the NC, SC, GA areas. I am in the upstate SC area and would travel a bit to pick up some eggs. I don't like to bother with shipped eggs if I can help it.
If any one knows someone that can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!
Again. I'm looking for "heritage" I breed production BR already but would like to be part of bringing back what this breed was meant to be. Thanks!
I got mine last year from a breeder outside of Raleigh. If that is close enough, pm me and I will give you the info.

I set 19 WR eggs Sunday. My plan is to hatch everything they lay through Mid-April'ish. My goal is to have at least 100 new WR chicks, but we'll just have to see how the hatching goes.

The biggest problem will be next year when I need to pick my new breeders.

Cheers,

BTW, I have some questions regarding my second K to breed from as soon as I get some decent pics.

Not what you want to see during egg breeding/collection/setting/hatching season. Ugh. Shades of last year. Deja Vu all over again.

sad.png
Definitely not what anyone wants to see...

I was hopeful now that march was here. I am however, somewhat reluctantly, starting to collect some eggs to set for next week. Hopefully Spring springs upon us quickly.

Last edited:
I am looking for hatching eggs from "Heritage Barred Rocks". If someone is willing to sell and ship some, please let me know. Thank you!

I am looking for hatching eggs from "Heritage Barred Rocks". If someone is willing to sell and ship some, please let me know. Thank you!

I sell and ship newborn chicks. Hatching eggs are such a gamble when they are shipped. You think you are saving money, but a lot of times it turns out to be bust. The eggs can get shook up so much, they don't hatch, a % could be infertile or die during development. Chicks are much less of a gamble. I know it doesn't stop people from the lure of hatching eggs.

I sell and ship newborn chicks. Hatching eggs are such a gamble when they are shipped. You think you are saving money, but a lot of times it turns out to be bust. The eggs can get shook up so much, they don't hatch, a % could be infertile or die during development. Chicks are much less of a gamble. I know it doesn't stop people from the lure of hatching eggs.

X2. That "lure" of hatching eggs is a similar lure to playing the Lotto. The mistaken idea that maybe I'll "win" or "beat the system" and miraculously hatch all 12 eggs from the box. The reality is that 2 eggs is much more the norm. For those two chicks, the expense of the box of eggs, the time and electric spent incubating and expense of brooding them, what with electricity, red bulbs, chips, etc the math simply doesn't work out, no matter how many times trying to explain this to folks. Shrug.

So, in the end, getting chicks or brooded out chicks in an over night box only sounds pricey. It is actually the best value all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom