The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vickie

Looks like you are off to a good start. Birds look healthy, great leg color, well feathered to be so young. 11 weeks old is a tough time to really do much other than cull for defects, but a few things I see that you might watch for;

K #1 - legs appear to be set too far back, off balance if you will. More bird in front of the legs, than behind it.

In general, chests on Rocks are the last to develop and these guys are still young. As the chest fills out the tail angle will increase, so is its 30deg now, it will likely be higher when the bird is finished. Also, its hard to see in the pictures, but I always look for width of legs (distance between them)....make sure you get a bird that has a good wide stance. Watch heads, again its hard to judge from pictures, but a few seem to have smaller heads ... I like 'em with BIG HEADS (both width of skull and distance from top of skull to waddles)

I see no "defects" jumping out at me....just some general observations based on what I look for in my Rocks

NICE JOB

Poor K #1 was our first victim. None of these have been handled before and we are used to handling 4 legged critters. He kept sinking so she kind of propped him up by the butt. When you put all of these on the ground their legs are properly placed according to the SOP illustration.

Good to know about tail angle as the other cockerels that we "culled" had higher tails.

I really liked cockerel # 3 because he was so wide between the legs.

Interesting about a big head. I have an Araucana rooster that has a huge head but then EVERYTHING is huge about him. I would LOVE to show him but the girls won't leave his tufts alone, he is such a good rooster to his flock, and he hates being confined separately. Here is a picture of him - keeping in mind that he is a fully mature rooster of 2 - 3 years in age:

We will do this again around 18 weeks and post the results. It will be very interesting to see the differences.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Vickie

Similar comments here especially on heads. Watch that they aren't too small

I would watch pullet #1 for a little while longer, but I see the beginnings of a serious cushion in her....if it is, don't breed from her. That's a tough trait to get out and keep out of Rocks

Also, watch the tails on the Ps. Could be the way that they are being held for pix, but you only want a 20deg tail on them and some look to be that and slightly more already. By 18 weeks or so, you'll have a very good idea of the tail angle (not finished angle, but at least is it going to be too high)

Partridge Rocks are very pretty....and I have NO idea what to tell you about color and pattern, but if they came from Dick they should be pretty darn good

Pullet #1 actually has a very flat back. She is just missing pretty much all of her tail. This causes her back feathers to "fluff" up. I have been reading on this thread how hard it is to get rid of cushions. I was very happy when only one pullet had the beginnings of a cushion - she was sent packing to the layer flock. The rest had absolutely flat backs.

As to heads on all of these birds, they may not be all that small. These - to me anyway - are HUGE compared to hatchery stock youngsters I have had in the past..

Again, these were not used to being handled so their stances are not he best. They were calmer and easier to handle than the cockerels.

The Partridge color pattern is my favorite in the chicken world - nothing prettier than a rich mahogany and red chicken!

Again, we will redo this around 18 weeks and thank you for your comments.

I used them for all chicks this year--they are not as hot as red lamps. What I like is the chicks can sleep in the dark, much better for them. I am not sure if they are safer though. I hope so.

I used them for all chicks this year--they are not as hot as red lamps. What I like is the chicks can sleep in the dark, much better for them. I am not sure if they are safer though. I hope so.

How hot do you think they get? Do they burn out quickly. These red lights seem to burn out fast and I've lost some chicks to that. I was using two at a time just to be safe.

I googled them and found conflicting reviews. I do know that even regular incandescent lights can get hot enough to cause a fire.

I think I might give them a try.

Last edited:
Ho, Hi, Ho.......................
lol.png

Im not sure how long they will last as I only used them for 3 mos. so far--I do know their heating area is much less than a red light. Just try one for now to see what you think. I like them a lot better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom