The Plymouth Rock Breeders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one more. This is my favorite pullet of 2014. It is a still clip from video, as I find this the best way to capture a bird. That's a little tip I got from Walt Leonard aka @fowlman01

What do you think of her? I need to update this 14 week photo. She's not changed, really, just gotten better and better.

Quite beautiful. That's a Blosl? The tail is wonderful.
big_smile.png

Fred, I thought this was a place to learn. I try and read as much about the breed but struggle quite a bit considering I am disabled. Besides, maybe I am looking for someone to come out and say "hey nice chook" but I guess that's against the rules. I will happily leave this website and never return again. I feel belittled.

Fred, I thought this was a place to learn. I try and read as much about the breed but struggle quite a bit considering I am disabled. Besides, maybe I am looking for someone to come out and say "hey nice chook" but I guess that's against the rules. I will happily leave this website and never return again. I feel belittled.

Chicken Ducks,

You are welcome here and most welcome to join in a learning process. Asking if a particular bird displayed is "show quality" is not the best way to go about it. Re-read the header on this section. Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection

It’s Staff’s desire to moderate this forum with an eye toward consideration that many of the folks participating here are longtime breeders who may write in a down-to-earth and non-sugar-coated way; this certainly doesn’t mean that, when posting here, the Rules do not apply. This is simply meant to advise folks new to this forum that, for example, if they ask a question about a picture they just posted of a bird from their flock, they should expect a straightforward answer, taken from the viewpoint of someone who is breeding exhibition fowl.

There are many threads here on BYC where folks post photos where people can say, "pretty bird". This section is clearly defined as not being such a place. You posted a photo of a bird and were told it's faults. Yet you insisted on re-posting the bird demanding a Yes or No answer, "Is it show quality?". The question should be this: How close is this Rock to reflecting the Standard for the breed?

But, to complicate things, there are different standards in different countries. "Show quality" in what country and under what standards? In North America, the bird you showed would NOT do well at an exhibition. But the bigger issue was also addressed. On a breeder's thread, the issue is discussing breeding, so when displaying a bird for critique, it is very helpful if you would at the same time discuss what YOU see as the bird's strengths, as you see them and the bird's faults, as you see them.

My reply was factual and the same guidance given me many years ago. To be a serious breeder, it is best to begin under the tutoring of a mentor, join the breed club, attend poultry shows, study your chosen breed(s) religiously and thoroughly, know your Standard thoroughly.

If this thread, Plymouth Rocks Breeders makes folks feel uncomfortable, then I'd prefer to just shut it down. As the OP of this thread, it is my right to request it be closed, and frankly, that might just be the best thing.

Last edited:
I just want to jump in and say I don't post here but truly enjoy reading this thread. I keep up with it and I don't even have heritage Plymouth Rocks. The reason I enjoy this thread so much is because of the fact that this thread as a breeders thread hasn't strayed off topic and everything is very straight forward I love that everything stays related to the of breeding quality birds. Even though I'm not breeding this specific breed I am working with other breeds and watching you all is so helpful and inspirational.

I enjoy this thread and will continue to follow.

Last edited:
I just want to jump in and say I don't post here but truly enjoy reading this thread. I keep up with it and I don't even have heritage Plymouth Rocks. The reason I enjoy this thread so much is because of the fact that this thread as a breeders thread hasn't strayed off topic and everything is very straight forward I love that everything stays related to the of breeding quality birds. Even though I'm not breeding this specific breed I am working with other breeds and watching you all is so helpful and inspirational.

I enjoy this thread and will continue to follow.
Same here. I have one nice Barred Rock, but I don't breed them. I really enjoy this thread.

Fred, you have been such an inspiration to so many people. We need your expertise on the breeding qualities. I learned more on this thread this week alone than any other. I'm just getting started on my Rocks and I depend on everybody's help. I did find a judge about 10 minutes away from me and I'll talk to him in the spring.
celebrate.gif

Fred

Please don't shut it down as this is a great place for Rock breeders to exchange ideas.

Taking this as an opportunity for a learning moment...."show quality" was the question, so what is the answer??!!

I'm just about to start my 5th yr breeding my birds and have YET to show one. Keep in mind the trio I started from was shown at the Ohio Nationals in fall 2010. I've had plenty of birds "free of DQs" and thus could certainly have been shown. However, in my world, unless I have a bird I feel is capable of winning at the very least within its breed, then I don't consider it show quality.

Others please feel free to voice your opinions. As Fred said, just the term " show quality" is meaningless in my opinion. Each breeder has a different philosophy on what they would show...and to each, those are "show quality".

Would I show the bird that was pictured? No, but if it's without DQs, then the owner is certainly welcome to try, although based upon the single picture shown, the results would be disappointing

I agree that everyone's show quality is different. What breed are you showing is equally important as where are you showing it? A local fair is going to yield a completely different experience than a major show. Certain breeds you will have stiff competition, and I see Plymouth Rocks as one of those breeds.

I have attended a major show (Stockton), and spent half of the time with my jaw on the ground. I was lucky enough to meet Walt and he answered all of my questions and more. He showed me issues on other birds. I also went around and looked at every DQ tag - so that's what knock kneed looks like, etc. The breeds I am working with (Welsummers and Barnevelders) are not well represented at shows in North America. I am considering showing, but not to win. I know my birds aren't perfect, and I do have issues I'm battling. I will not show a bird with an obvious DQ, but there may be something I have missed. I want to learn more from the judges. Walt has graciously offered to go over my birds with me at a show and to me, that opportunity I can't pass up.

When I first discovered BACK YARD CHICKENS, I was new to keeping chickens. I had questions and Speckledhen was nice enough to offer help. Due to her help I never lost either of two chicks that didn't seem to be thriving. Thanks to her kind and patient ways I've learned quite a bit.

That said, it seemed to me that BACK YARD CHICKENS was for the novice not the professional chicken keeper.

One of the things mentioned when I attended an ALBC conference in Hamilton, NY by the "professionals" was that if they did not embrace the "novice" and "young" then the organization and breeds they hoped to preserve would die out. That there would be no "heritage" to take over when the old timers passed on. I have to tell you that I was made to feel welcome and had one of the best times of my life.

Don Schrider explained some very helpful tips in chicken keeping as well as hatching chicks.

I live in Syracuse and we have a show every year at the NYS Fair and there are others. I don't show because I am fearful of what I see here. I did at one time show Cavies and travel but quite frankly folks can be snobs. I was new then and it seemed the "professionals" could not be bothered with a novice.

My older brothers showed Pigeons and had a club. They had meetings, dues and they whole nine yards. We unfortunately do not have that in the chicken world. What we do have is BACK YARD CHICKENS, or it would seem.

Now if the "breeders" want to die and take their knowledge and expertise with them then do so, or you can take the time to pass that knowledge and expertise on to others who may or may not follow in your footsteps.

Look at it from the fisherman's point of view. First you dangle the bait out there and attract the fish's attention. Then you get a few nibbles and if you're lucky you eventually get a bite and reel them in. Some might get off and swim away others might be keepers. Just cuz you know fish/chickens doesn't mean you know how to catch one/ or teach others. You dig?

What do you "breeders" hope to accomplish? If it's a thread just for those selected then say so. Don't beat around the bush. Just remember, this is after all BACK YARD CHICKENS, and you should expect some uninitiated into your thread to drop in. Perhaps you might want to add "ONLY" to the thread title. I can live with that.

Now someone asked is this bird show quality?

You could simply say, no it's not and drop it. You don't have to be rude. After all teachers deal with kids all day long and aren't rude to their students. If they were no one would learn anything.

You can say, we are not here to teach, this thread is just for folks we've deemed as "breeders" . Which of course contradicts the site title of BACK YARD chickens........................... You dig?

When I first discovered BACK YARD CHICKENS, I was new to keeping chickens.  I had questions and Speckledhen was nice enough to offer help. Due to her help I never lost either of two chicks that didn't seem to be thriving.  Thanks to her kind and patient ways I've learned quite a bit.  

That said, it seemed to me that BACK YARD CHICKENS was for the novice not the professional chicken keeper. 

One of the things mentioned when I attended an ALBC conference in Hamilton, NY by the "professionals"  was that if they did not embrace the "novice" and "young" then the organization and breeds they hoped to preserve  would die out.  That there would be no "heritage" to take over when the old timers passed on.  I have to tell you that I was made to feel welcome and had one of the best times of my life.  

Don Schrider explained  some very helpful tips in chicken keeping as well as hatching chicks. 

I live in Syracuse and we have a show every year at the NYS Fair and there are others.  I don't show because I am fearful of what I see here. I did at one time show Cavies and travel but quite frankly folks can be snobs. I was new then and it seemed the "professionals"  could not be bothered with a novice.  

My older brothers showed Pigeons and had a club. They had meetings, dues and they whole nine yards.  We unfortunately do not have that in the chicken world.  What we do have is BACK YARD CHICKENS, or it would seem.

Now if the "breeders" want to die and take their knowledge and expertise with them then do so, or you can take the time to pass that knowledge and expertise on to others who may or may not follow in your footsteps.  

Look at it from the fisherman's point of view.  First you dangle the bait out there and attract the fish's attention.  Then you get a few nibbles and if you're lucky you eventually get a bite and reel them in.  Some might get off and swim away others might be keepers.  Just cuz you know fish/chickens doesn't mean you know how to catch one/ or teach others.  You dig? 

What do you "breeders" hope to accomplish?    If it's a thread just for those selected then say so. Don't beat around the bush.  Just remember,  this is after all BACK YARD CHICKENS, and you should expect some uninitiated into your thread to drop in.  Perhaps you might want to add "ONLY" to the thread title.  I can live with that.  

Now someone  asked is this bird show quality?

You could simply say, no it's not and drop it. You don't have to be rude.  After all teachers deal with kids all day long and aren't rude to their students.  If they were no one would learn anything. 

You can say, we are not here to teach, this thread is just for folks we've deemed as "breeders" .   Which of course contradicts the site title of BACK YARD chickens...........................  You dig?  

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom