The Price of Chicken Feed

Thanks for the information folks
I think the local feed store in the New Orleans area has a monopoly on feed.
I was playing $6.00 for a 25lbs bag of scratch and the price was increased to $8.00 or so.
Thanks again
Good luck with your flock

For my Layena I pay $11.50 for 50lbs
BOSS is $7 for 25lbs or 13.50 for 50lbs
Scratch $7 for 25lbs but I can also get 50 lbs for only $10 at my local co-op.
I only buy from co-ops, not from Atwoods or any of the commercial stores...unless I need my Orchard Grass/Timothy hey pellets for the bunnies, which only Atwoods carries.
Purina Start & Grow (the chick starter) is $11.50 for a 50lb bag. I am going to have to buy some soon too, but I hate to get 50lbs...but its better than the $4 I had to pay for 5lbs of it at Atwoods when I just had to bring those chicks home!

Last edited:
I'm paying $16.60 for layer pellets-100#
$5.85 for 50# cracked corn at our local MFA
starter crumbles $20 per 100#- I only bought $2.00 worth for my 8 chicks to start with and it lasted a couple weeks.
$4.60 bale of shavings

Last edited:
Hi Everyone I have started working full time so this is the first chance I have had to visit the forum in a while.I think the price of feed has gone up to much but we have to feed our chickens.I have sold more eggs to try and cover some of the cost.I pay 11.00 for both mash and scratch.That is in a 50 pound bag.It has gone up over 5.00 dollars per 50 pounds since September.Part of the reason for working full time lol.

Feed has gone up here about three dollars a bag ecept for corn. I can it has gone up 1.75. I am now paying 6.75 for 50 lb of Whole corn. 10.25 for layer crumbs or pellets and I buy a bag of each. 11.25 for chick starter/grower.

We got our first chickens April 5th, 2006 and for a 50lb bag of crumbles it was $6.25 a bag...it has almost doubled.

Back
Top Bottom