The Price of Chicken Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LeghornGuy, Mar 1, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Yeah,

Thats what I would do...but the grass that I had is all gone now. : (

- Tommy

2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    We just keep on watering this area near our garden, so the greens stay green. We also never pull out the dandelion weeds, just pull off the leaves, and they come back over and over, well, like weeds. The ducks especially love the dandelions.

The best stuff is the trimmings from the garden. We could eat it, but we choose to give it to the poultry. They love the carrot, strawberry, beet, and radish tops. Everytime we pull a head of lettuce out, at least a few leaves go to the birds. So far, every little bit has helped stretch the dollar even more. [​IMG]

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    What is the price of feed at your place?

- Tommy

4. Magdeleine

Magdeleine New Egg

May 7, 2008
    I am in Portland, as well, where do you buy your feed? do you use that for layers?

5. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Well...

What do you know. Its now avg. $12.75 per 50lb. now. Some you can get lucky at $12.25 or some its $13.00.

Geesh!

Gas Up, Living Expenses Up, But Work Is D...O...W...N!!! [​IMG]

URRRRRGGGGGG!!! [​IMG]

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I buy my feed by the ton now. Bag feed is just too dang expensive to keep a flock of my size fed.

When I break it down, bulk feed is a little under $6.50 for 50lbs. of 16% layer.

With corn prices dropping, you really need to go to feed mills instead of fleet/farm type stores. Feed mills adjust the price according to the grain market. FF store prices only go up [​IMG]

btw: gas is going down around here. I filled up for ...$2.36 gal. [​IMG]

edit: oh ya, they will bag the feed too but I was having too many mouse problems with all the bags sitting around. Now they have to chew through a steel bin to get to my feed [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow! This is an old thread- March 2008! I imagine the prices listed are totally different after 19 or so months.

8. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:True, but it's always an on going conversation. And there is about 6 bucks difference between what me and TommyVT are paying TODAY. Alot of people don't know all their options or are mis-led by the media. Corn is at the lowest price in a couple years, feed costs should be down too in my opionion.

9. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    It is an old thread but I think that feed prices still hit everyone in the pocket.

Magdeleine, I am in SE Ohio and I am paying about $10 per 50lb bag of scratch and $7 per 50lb bag of layer mash. I was buying Kent layer pellets which was anywhere from $13-17 depending where I bought it. I started getting the layer mash that my local mill and am saving a lot. I didn't even know that I had the option for the first year I had chickens. Newbie mistake. It's really kinda nice because I can add a little scratch for a treat or some soybean meal to up their protein and I don't have to worry about if it is medicated.

10. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    16% lay mash dropped in price a little here in NoCo. Just picked up 50# for $9.50 - was $10.50 a month or so ago... I buy it direct from one of the feed mills in town.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by