1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Price of Chicken Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LeghornGuy, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Skip and our neighbor, Skip, did a feed run on Thursday.

Prices from the McMinnville TSC...

50# Dumor 16% Layer Pellets... $12.29

50# Scratch Grains... $ 8.69

Dawn

2. Presto

Presto Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG] I am trying to figure out how much it would cost a month to have 4 chickens? I have not purchased any yet. I have to be honest I am doing as much research on owning chickens & had no idea about oyster shell, scratch, the deep litter method, I live on Long Island so everything costs more, lol...[​IMG]

3. LeghornGuy

LeghornGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    New Orleans
    I also live in the city.
    Maybe that explains why feed cost more in the urban areas. My options are limited when it comes to feedstores.
    I have a flock of 15 hens and one rooster. I use about 25lbs of feed per week-(7 to 9 days) I also give them left overs and they free range four times a week.

4. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    mine are all bantams. I have used 75lbs of layer pellets since septmber.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I think its funny how its cheaper here in CA! I pay $8.40 for a 50 lb bag of Hen Scratch and $8.60 (I think, if not, its realy close) for a 50 lb bag of Layer Crumbles. I mix them up in one tub and feed it like that. Prices have gone up drastically though, it really stinks.

6. LeghornGuy

LeghornGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the input folks.
    I am going to start mixing my feed together.

I noticed that my hens love it when i soak the laying pellets in water. Does anyone else soak their laying pellets for three or four minutes?

I did notice that the price of laying pellets is cheaper than whole corn in the city.

good luck with you flock

7. bluerose

bluerose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    13.95 for 50lb lay mash here.

The hens prefer the weeds.

8. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Quote:I think you went to the same place I did, but it's too far from you, lol. Same here for chick starter, ~$8 for 50 lb whole corn, ~$9 for cracked corn (50 lb), and ~$10 for scratch (50 lb). I didn't ask about the laying or finishing feeds. I do use a local grainery and feed mill though, so all of their things are grown locally and don't have to incur much in the way of shipping costs.

9. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    It went up here

$12 now!

Was $8.50

Goosh! Ethanol...Lol

- Tommy

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Ours is nearly $13 for flockraiser. I am feeding them more and more scraps, grass, weeds, etc. which they seem to love anyway [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by