The Price of Chicken Feed

Skip and our neighbor, Skip, did a feed run on Thursday.

Prices from the McMinnville TSC...

50# Dumor 16% Layer Pellets... $12.29

50# Scratch Grains... $ 8.69

Dawn

sad.png
I am trying to figure out how much it would cost a month to have 4 chickens? I have not purchased any yet. I have to be honest I am doing as much research on owning chickens & had no idea about oyster shell, scratch, the deep litter method, I live on Long Island so everything costs more, lol...
roll.png

I also live in the city.
Maybe that explains why feed cost more in the urban areas. My options are limited when it comes to feedstores.
I have a flock of 15 hens and one rooster. I use about 25lbs of feed per week-(7 to 9 days) I also give them left overs and they free range four times a week.

I think its funny how its cheaper here in CA! I pay $8.40 for a 50 lb bag of Hen Scratch and $8.60 (I think, if not, its realy close) for a 50 lb bag of Layer Crumbles. I mix them up in one tub and feed it like that. Prices have gone up drastically though, it really stinks.

Thanks for the input folks.
I am going to start mixing my feed together.

I noticed that my hens love it when i soak the laying pellets in water. Does anyone else soak their laying pellets for three or four minutes?

I did notice that the price of laying pellets is cheaper than whole corn in the city.

good luck with you flock

Quote:
I think you went to the same place I did, but it's too far from you, lol. Same here for chick starter, ~$8 for 50 lb whole corn, ~$9 for cracked corn (50 lb), and ~$10 for scratch (50 lb). I didn't ask about the laying or finishing feeds. I do use a local grainery and feed mill though, so all of their things are grown locally and don't have to incur much in the way of shipping costs.

Back
Top Bottom