The Princess is a Perfect Houseguest...Shadow, the Diva Chicken

Aww...she is so sweet.
love.gif
I really hope she's okay.

I hope so, too. Noticed that one of her protectors, Reba, my old RIR girl, who is laying internally, has fluid in her lungs, so she won't be around much longer. I hate when I hear that deep gurgly sound from one and know that the fluid is affecting not only the abdomen but the lungs and heart. Means she won't be with us too much longer. Had to put her in the hospital cage so Shadow has lost her main guard hen today.

sad.png
oh that sucks. wish there were something we could do for these girls. (short of having a fortune in vet bills to save them, wich is not an optin for most of us)

Your little girl si so pretty! heck, just put a diaper on her and call her spot. teach her to fetch the newspaper and call it all good.

Cross my fingers for her.

Thanks for the good thoughts for Shadow and Reba. Reba is going on six years old, one of two remaining from the original ten hens. She's a super friendly, bright and smart, a dedicated free ranger, just a wonderful hen. She's been a joy to have all these years.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear your older hen is ill. And I sure hope your little princess recovers....I love those pics of your hubby with her!

Hope everything works out ok for you. This heat has been just awful this year.

hugs.gif

Six years may not seem old for breeder stock, but for hatchery production type hens, it's positively ancient.

This stupid heat is affecting Nugget, too. She and Reba have been having terrible issues with it and both of them are having breathing problems today so I put Nuggs up in the cage with Reba in front of the fan so she could stay still and cool. Nugget is super fluffy, being a huge breeder quality Buff Orpington girl, going on four years old now, and a couple of times, I thought she was going to die on the nest, her panting was so extreme.

The Diva is sucking up Cynthia you know this.
wink.png
I pray for Reba to pass quickly and soon, I hate the thought of her suffering in any way, such a sweet girl. And Nuggs well Nuggs will be fine, she just has to be. Make her a diaper and let her free range the livingroom. She is in my thoughts and prayers.

Back
Top Bottom