The RE-Build of Les Farms

We had an AWESOME meeting with a contractor today. Good news. We can get the barn for under our price covered by the insurance AND he will put in a fence for the goats.

We had to rework the outside because of the supports needed for the peak we want. It will have the one side. I am so excited. He is even going to build the exterior runs for the breeding pens!

So this is what we are going to do.. Insulate the chicken area and put in a mini split to heat it just above freezing (for waters and feed) Yes I know there are risks to heating for the acclimation, but our weather varies so much that it won't make a difference. We're not talking heating to 50 in there.. just 32.. to make our job easier. Our power is rarely out. I think the longest was 1/2 an hour this year. I've never been alive with more than a 4 hour power outage. So there is that. In the summer we can use it to cool off the area. Also a bonus.

Whoever said the fuse box should not be in the tractor room was right, That will be in the wash/brood room. There will be concrete throughout all of the barn other than the chicken and large livestock area - which will be dirt.
We were talking about doors.. He had the same ideas about the snow being a pain in front of them. We are going to do smaller lift up garage type doors around the goat and the tractor area. That problem is solved. The entrance and exit will both have doors going in, and the chicken area a door swinging out. So we will have to keep that ploughed. We would anyway, so that's fine.

Now for the siding.. He recommends a steal type sheeting. He says that it will involve less labour and last for years. It comes painted. Now my first thought was that it would heat the building up too much in the summer... but if it is a light colour, and the barn is insulated, it wouldn't be an issue. There is that or clap board (we would have to stain to make it last) or vinyl.

Okay this is becoming a novel... lots to think about. He's going to build the baby barn ASAP for the chicks too until we can get the barn up. He says it will be done by the end of MAY!! The barn! He's a client of mine and he is very trustworthy. I'm so happy with our meeting.

Plus they have two puppies and I got to cuddle with them during the meeting. Only a few tears. It was much better than I thought. Thank you all for the suggestions!

I love my steel sheeted building, it stays cool in the hot Texas summers, 100 + is normal, stays warm in winter. stays about 55-60 degrees without any heat. It is on a concrete slab, it is my well house and feed room. It is a dove gray color with white trim, always look clean and neat. My builder, who is also a friend, uses pictures of it in his portfolio to show to prospective clients. He has built several since then because it looks so very nice.

aoxa, we were so sorry to hear about your barn fire and the loss of your precious, beautiful animals. I have spent a couple of hours reading your posts and the updates since the 11th.
Thank you for sharing your difficult news with us, so that we are warned and may learn. Thank you for sharing so many stories and pictures of your animals. I wept as a looked through them tonight. Every thread that you have shared your stories and pictures of your animals have been a warm memory.
It has been wonderful to read this thread and to hear your plans for the future. Your new barn looks lovely and I am thankful that you have this to look forward to.
Keep us posted and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you as you mourn and rebuild. We'll weep when you weep and rejoice when you rejoice.
hugs.gif

aoxa, we were so sorry to hear about your barn fire and the loss of your precious, beautiful animals. I have spent a couple of hours reading your posts and the updates since the 11th.
Thank you for sharing your difficult news with us, so that we are warned and may learn. Thank you for sharing so many stories and pictures of your animals. I wept as a looked through them tonight. Every thread that you have shared your stories and pictures of your animals have been a warm memory.
It has been wonderful to read this thread and to hear your plans for the future. Your new barn looks lovely and I am thankful that you have this to look forward to.
Keep us posted and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you as you mourn and rebuild. We'll weep when you weep and rejoice when you rejoice.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
Your comment is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing in my love of them, and their memory. I still can not look at the pictures without losing it.

Soon I hope.

Family and friends are helping us plant a big beautiful memorial garden. Everyone is bringing a plant.

Your barn burning down is just about the saddest thing I can imagine. I lost a chicken last year and it was devastating. One chicken. I feel your pain. I hope that sharing your story has helped alleviate the pain somewhat. It is fantastic that you have insurance money and can plan the rebuilding straight away, and you have your experience to draw upon to plan an awesome, safe structure for your new flock and herd. I hope it all goes well. Best of luck.

Your barn burning down is just about the saddest thing I can imagine. I lost a chicken last year and it was devastating. One chicken. I feel your pain. I hope that sharing your story has helped alleviate the pain somewhat. It is fantastic that you have insurance money and can plan the rebuilding straight away, and you have your experience to draw upon to plan an awesome, safe structure for your new flock and herd. I hope it all goes well. Best of luck.
Thank you.

Here is the revised barn exterior appearance. With the large chicken barn part, there wasn't enough equal support to do the last way. Pretty isn't it? :) It may have to be reverted (like the big part on the left and the slope on the right) but it should be similar (but larger) to this picture.

Dutch door ideas.

Thank you guys for the moral support.

If I didn't start planning right away I would be consumed with everything that happened. This gives my mind something else to focus on.

I still haven't been able to look at any of my older photos yet. Just too painful.

hugs.gif
Your comment is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing in my love of them, and their memory. I still can not look at the pictures without losing it.

Soon I hope.

Family and friends are helping us plant a big beautiful memorial garden. Everyone is bringing a plant.
Hugs to you sweety!
hugs.gif

I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be going through! Bless your heart. You will be in my prayers.

I recently lost three precious geese, who were my sweet little angels...I was heartbroken. The night before they got killed I'd taken a bunch of beautiful pictures of them..it was just awful to find them the next morning with no heads and blood all over their beautiful, snow-white feathers. Okay..I'm loosing it...but I know how you feel. If there is anything I can do, just ask away.

Love you sweety!
hugs.gif

~ Aspen

Hugs to you sweety!
hugs.gif

I cannot even begin to imagine what you must be going through! Bless your heart. You will be in my prayers.

I recently lost three precious geese, who were my sweet little angels...I was heartbroken. The night before they got killed I'd taken a bunch of beautiful pictures of them..it was just awful to find them the next morning with no heads and blood all over their beautiful, snow-white feathers. Okay..I'm loosing it...but I know how you feel. If there is anything I can do, just ask away.

Love you sweety!
hugs.gif

~ Aspen
Aspen, thank you - and I am so very sorry about your geese :(

No matter how big the loss, it is still a loss and is traumatizing. Looking back on pictures is really tough.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom