The RE-Build of Les Farms

hugs.gif
Glad I could help you out with ideas, heat lamps scare the crap out of me!

Getting geese again this week, but not turkeys. At least not right away. My neighbours were really bothered by the turkeys harassing them.
I am with you aart. I hate having those extension cords, but I have no other option until they finally come out and do it. Thankfully I am not running ANY heat lamps. Just 18 watt eco-glows.

I cant wait to see the photos of the geese!

What's wrong with extension cords?

They can be a fire hazard.
Yes - this. Especially when used incorrectly. If they are plugged into a lot of things, rested in a dusty location, or used with heat lamps. All really bad ways to use extension cords.

This is why I placed 30 outlets in the barn. So I wouldn't have to use extension cords. The reason I am now is only because it's the only source of power we have until the power company runs the electrical from the pole to the barn. Fingers crossed they come sooner than later. They said 12 days maximum, but they also said that with the pole, and it only took 2 days.
fl.gif

Oh and here's a recent photo of Henry. He is getting HUGE.

Why is it bad to use them with heat lamps?

I have underlined and bolded the reason we believe cause our fire based on the Point of Origin.
Overloading extension cords can cause deadly fires. Play it safe and don't try to plug in " just one more."
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]"You get what you pay for," Ward said. "If you pay more money, you're going to get a better extension cord." Other tips include:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Replace cords that are cracked or frayed.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Don't overload cords or sockets.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Don't run cords under rugs or near heaters or radiators.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Only use exterior extension cords for outside use. Firefighters in Phoenix, AZ said they see several fires each year caused solely by people using interior extension cords outside.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Pay attention to cord quality and purpose -- don't use a light-duty extension cord for a job that really needs a heavy-duty variety, such as air conditioners or freezers.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Feel the temperature of the cords when they are in use. If they are hot to the touch, unplug them immediately. Replace the extension cord with one that has No. 16 or heavier gauge wire (the lower the number, the heavier the wire and the more electrical current the cord can safely carry).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]3. Electrical Burns[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Electrical burns to the mouth accounted for half the extension-cord-related injuries to young children,according to the CPSC. They reported one incident in which a 15-month-old girl put an extension cord in her mouth and suffered an electrical burn that required surgery.
The solution: Keep all extension cords out of the reach of children. Plugs, outlets and cords can be irresistible to young children who don't realize their dangers.
Play it safe and avoid using them if you have small children, or ensure that your child cannot get access to the cord. Some of the worst places to put them are dangling over counters or tabletops where they can be pulled down. If you do use one, be sure it has a safety closure to cover any unused outlets.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
Winding and unwinding outdoor extension cords can be a major hassle ... and the tangled cords can be a major risk. This outdoor extension cord "Wonder Winder" ends the hassle for good, making winding and unwinding yourextension cord as snap! A great gift -- whether to a loved one or yourself.

Read More Now!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Other Tips For Safe Extension Cord Use[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Extension cords are handy tools and necessities in many homes, so follow these other tips to help you use extension cords in the safest manner:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Make sure new cords are listed by a recognized national testing laboratory[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Only use extension cords when they're absolutely necessary[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Use polarized extension cords with polarized appliances[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Don't leave prongs exposed, even partly, when the cord is in use[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Pull the plug, not the cord, when disconnecting it from the socket[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Special "angle extension cords" can be used where furniture or beds may push against the plug[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Don't use staples or nails to attach extension cords to any surface[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Don't exceed the total wattage listed on the cord by plugging in too many appliances[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Try not to use them for long-term purposes[/FONT]

OMGosh!!!! He's like doubled in size in a few weeks!! ...and his puppy face is gone.
I don't know if you follow us on FB, but I have a week by week growth album for Henry there (missing week 14.. whoops - so there is 13 weeks of pictures). I'll post here just in case some of you guys don't do Facebook:

Back
Top Bottom