The Real ID Act??

Well thanks PC. It feels more like home to me here than it ever did there. The silly thing about the immigration laws is they push people into doing the wrong thing, as it is easier, cheaper and more beneficial than being legal unless you plan on returning to your home country. I went to school for a history degree and a teaching certificate, but I had to drop out before I got the certificate because I couldn't afford to go to school any longer. If i'd been allowed to work I could have completed it.

Congrats Cara. It took 10 years and $10,000 for my husband to become 'legal'. It is easier to stay illegal than to jump through hoops and become legal.

The sad thing about driver's license is, if illegals are denied them, they drive anyway and have no insurance. Then when they hit you, you have to pay for everything. Having stricter driver's license laws does not really solve anything.

I just got my notice of renewal in today's mail. I have to present my SS card to renew. If I only knew where it was!

10 years?! That sounds hellish dealing with the immigration service for that long. They were so rude to us on so many occasions, and i've always felt sorry for people who didn't speak English as a first language trying to deal with them.

We were in Atlanta for a deportation hearing. They decided to deport my hubby and I asked, "What about me and our children? What are we going to do?" The man said, "I don't care. As far as I am concerned, you can go back with him. Serves you right for marrying a Mexican." I would like to point out my DH is NOT Mexican. Makes you want to stay illegal just to spite them.

lol real ID act.... just wait till they do the biometric database.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/04/fbi.biometrics/index.html

he FBI is gearing up to create a massive computer database of people's physical characteristics
The bureau is expected to announce in coming days the awarding of a $1 billion, 10-year contract to help create the database that will compile an array of biometric information -- from palm prints to eye scans.

roll.png
roll.png

me and the rest of the Ron Paul supporters are going to buy a couple hundred thousand acres, wall it off an declare independence

Quadcam, your idea is very appealing to me sometimes. Even here in Canada people are worried about how thing are going. We don't ever really have a say, and our current Prime Minister seems to be just a puppet, which worries me. Western Canada never gets any good stuff either, only the east.

Currently Canadians need a passport to cross the border to the US. This came into affect January. Washington State and BC are trying to work something out that we can use special Driver's liscenses. They have some computer chip or something in them, not sure what, but they are asking people to apply for the experiemental ones so they can do a trial. I guess I am lucky I got to go to the US before this all came into affect. I travelled with my Husband for a few monhts when he was truck driving down there. I loved it, I loved the different terrian and different feels I got in every state. I didn't get pass Iowa to the east, I would have liked to.I hope that it doesn't become impossible to travel, but i'm sure it will.

Well if everything keeps moving the same way the NAFTA Superhighway" four football-fields-wide, through the heart of the U.S. along Interstate 35, from the Mexican border at Laredo, Tex., to the Canadian border north of Duluth, Minn" will be put into place and the US, Canada, and Mexico will be one country and using the Amero currency. We've been told there are no plans for the Amero currency but with the falling dollar thats not backed by anything and this proposed NAFTA Superhighway I think anything is possible.

funny, you have to have a passport to cross the US/Canada border but you can hop in a boat cross one of the lakes and go right in and those places are working on the honor system

Cara

My dh just applied for the lifting of conditional residency. And boy have the fees gone up. Instead of an inflationary jack in fee's of 5 to 10%, which I think is reasonable, it practically DOUBLED.

It went from $275 to $545. We are in so much debt becuz of the fact the dh could not work during the "limbo" that the government forces one into for 6 month to a year. I was always one to pay off credit cards each month, now we owe over 30k.

I think the legals are really being penalized and paying for the illegals as well, thats what it feels like to me.
Anyhow, didnt mean to go off topic from original post.

I agree the REAL ID act is a scary thing. Each state is beginning to implement different and stricter rules to "come into compliance".
sad.png

Jill

PC, you have to understand I love to push your buttons (or most anyones for that matter).
tongue.png

I do agree that it's the government as a whole that is responsible for the current mess we are in, but of course when someone declares themselves "The Decider", well you know.
wink.png

Anyhow.
I hope that people don't see my comments as an attack towards immigrants, legal or not. I'm a pure American mutt (I have relatives who came over on the Mayflower, and immigrated from Italy, Canada, Ireland in the 18 and 19 hundreds) and believe that if you are willing to work and contribute to society you are welcome here. I am just trying to understand how the government can see the Real ID Act as necessary. Why are they trying to put into place and if there are any positives. From what I can see there aren't any, but you never know.

I am hoping that Maine stands it's ground and the country follows. Dirigo (I Guide) is our motto after all. If it means I need a passport to go to Florida, well, I guess I am going to have to spend the $90 to get one.

I know what you mean thundrdancr. We ended up getting married twice because we would not have been able to afford the new fees for conditional permanent residency.

The application fee for permanent resident status (I-485) rose from $395 to $1010 for that form alone. We had a civil ceremony so that we could file before the increase, and then had a full on family deal a few months later. I had no idea the fee to remove the conditions was so high too, after all that we have already paid. I'll start saving now for it
roll.png
I'm convinced that the majority of the fees pays for dealing with the illegal immigrant problem rather than actual processing. For the time spent on each case, I doubt even the highest paid attorneys and administrators would charge that much. The problem is the more they increase the fees, the fewer the immigrants who can afford to go through the legal route.

Back
Top Bottom