The REAL truth behind crested ducks

Really sounds like she's ingested something toxic.

I would at least give a charcoal slurry with lots of fresh water. If there's a vet nearby I'd go right away.

This link has flushes and the charcoal slurry recipe. Flushes - they can be rough, but they are designed to get the duck to pass poisons quickly out of the digestive tract. But you have bleeding….

Here is the link - I would do the charcoal, no hesitation. You need to decide how you feel about the flush.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Just a wild thought - did she eat an amphibian, perhaps? Snake bite?

Last edited:
If you burn only clean hardwood, even charcoal from your wood stove, crushed up very fine, should be okay. As long as it's clean - no treated or painted wood burned in the stove.

Forgot to ask.

Is the blood in the droppings or randomly on the straw?

Random droppings on straw, not poo. We've got mushrooms blooming everywhere right now. Plants are just grasses, berry bushes, dandelion, ferns, etc. Nutrena layer and flock raise combined for food, she does stand, has been trying to breath through foam so no eat or drink but it's available to her, yes amphibians are everywhere right now frogs, salamanders, and slugs too. Neighbors love the ducks but are elderly and across the road.

Plenty of fresh water, get the food grade activated charcoal a.s.a.p, I would talk to her. Is she a friendly duck or does she shy away from both of you?

Sometimes talking to them, you can gauge how clearly they are able to think by their reactions to you - are they "with you" or really spaced out? I think I would also consider electrolytes.

Also if it's going to be really cold tonight, I'd bring her in where it's going to be closer to 50 or 60F than 30F - I don't know where you are….

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom