The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an athiest. I also have a problem with most of those other traditions, as well. After all, some god or other is involved with the celebrations....Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I was not aware that people believe Christians can not separate the religious aspects of Christmas with the traditional. We can celebrate the birth of Christ while having fun with the traditional trimmings (i.e. decorated tree, mistletoe, holly, Santa).
idunno.gif

I respect all views and appreciate when the favor is returned.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree entirely with this post.

Also, I don't get why (or why would) people throw their hands up and make an uproar because a religious holiday took inspiration/certain pieces from other religious holidays.

Last edited:
Great post! Its good to understand how the traditions and customs of other cultures and religions have been blended; and how that influences how we celebrate a holiday or event. Things evolve, people bring their traditions with them, and we incorporate other traditions into our celebrations, that's a very American idea or tradition. Xmas in other countries is celebrated differently in other countries too, and not always with the same traditions as in the US. Same goes for Halloween and Easter. Or even St.Patrick's Day. Here in the US its really a raucous celebration with a lot of drinking, but in Ireland, its celebrated very religiously for the most part.

I also want to add that I think the blending of these traditions is great because it allows for many to participate in celebration and the unity of tradition and community, and reduces the exclusivity factor.

Last edited:
Very interesting information. Don't believe I've ever read some of those before.

I'm thankful that part of my very Catholic education included studying all the other religions/beliefs. It was very in-depth. I believe it fostered tolerance and understanding.

Happy, Merry _______ (what ever holiday the person celebrates). I take it as good wishes from the person, thank them and return the good wishes.

You know, this has been an interesting discussion. This is not an us vs them debate.

I know I said I was giving one warning, but I am now going to give those who are flaming others and whose posts may be construed as against the rules about 15 minutes to edit their posts. At that time I will read through the thread and start issuing infractions.

Tick tock tick tock

The early church made a choice to schedule Christian holidays on the same dates as pagan holidays, as part of the conversion of the masses. It kept familiar rituals and times with what was then a new religion. This is a point of fact.

What we consider a modern American Christmas is cultural, not religious. The Puritans would be appalled, as would many Christians from other cultures, by the way most modern American Christians celebrate Christmas.

The fact of the matter is that historically, every religion has had some sort of holiday that is closely tied to the shortest day of the year. Calendars and traditions change, some things are incorporated in to the what we consider the Christmas tradition are from other sources. That does not make the celebration less significant or less important. Acknowledging the roots of the ritual don't change the underlying faith. For Christians, Christmas is about the birth of Christ, and Easter is about the rebirth of Christ; and the names and traditions have little to do with the faith expressed. Faith is just that, and rejoicing in it, no matter the trappings, is what makes it important, significant and worthy.

If the knowledge that some of the things associated with Christmas don't have Christian origins is enough to shake a person's faith, then they are not steady ground to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom