The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
mom'sfolly :

I don't see this post as a slam on Christian faith.

The early church made a choice to schedule Christian holidays on the same dates as pagan holidays, as part of the conversion of the masses. It kept familiar rituals and times with what was then a new religion. This is a point of fact.

What we consider a modern American Christmas is cultural, not religious. The Puritans would be appalled, as would many Christians from other cultures, by the way most modern American Christians celebrate Christmas.

There is nothing in this post that put down Christians, Druids or any other religion.

The fact of the matter is that historically, every religion has had some sort of holiday that is closely tied to the shortest day of the year. Calendars and traditions change, some things are incorporated in to the what we consider the Christmas tradition are from other sources. That does not make the celebration less significant or less important. Acknowledging the roots of the ritual don't change the underlying faith. For Christians Christmas is about the birth of Christ, and Easter is about the rebirth of Christ; and the names and traditions have little to do with the faith expressed.

X2​

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Personally, I love the trappings. I love the music, the food, the holly, the presents, the lights, the family get-togethers, the parties, etc. It all brings joy.

I think one of my favorite carols, an English traditional one called "The Holly and the Ivy" may pre-date Christianity.

mom'sfolly :

The early church made a choice to schedule Christian holidays on the same dates as pagan holidays, as part of the conversion of the masses. It kept familiar rituals and times with what was then a new religion. This is a point of fact.

What we consider a modern American Christmas is cultural, not religious. The Puritans would be appalled, as would many Christians from other cultures, by the way most modern American Christians celebrate Christmas.

The fact of the matter is that historically, every religion has had some sort of holiday that is closely tied to the shortest day of the year. Calendars and traditions change, some things are incorporated in to the what we consider the Christmas tradition are from other sources. That does not make the celebration less significant or less important. Acknowledging the roots of the ritual don't change the underlying faith. For Christians, Christmas is about the birth of Christ, and Easter is about the rebirth of Christ; and the names and traditions have little to do with the faith expressed. Faith is just that, and rejoicing in it, no matter the trappings, is what makes it important, significant and worthy.

If the knowledge that some of the things associated with Christmas don't have Christian origins is enough to shake a person's faith, then they are not steady ground to begin with.

thumbsup.gif
The various celebrations are what the individual believes them to be.​

Last edited:
mom'sfolly :

The fact of the matter is that historically, every religion has had some sort of holiday that is closely tied to the shortest day of the year. Calendars and traditions change, some things are incorporated in to the what we consider the Christmas tradition are from other sources. That does not make the celebration less significant or less important. Acknowledging the roots of the ritual don't change the underlying faith. For Christians, Christmas is about the birth of Christ, and Easter is about the rebirth of Christ; and the names and traditions have little to do with the faith expressed. Faith is just that, and rejoicing in it, no matter the trappings, is what makes it important, significant and worthy.

If the knowledge that some of the things associated with Christmas don't have Christian origins is enough to shake a person's faith, then they are not steady ground to begin with.

as usual Mom'sfolly, eloquently put.

I think knowing the history only adds more beauty to the rich cultural traditions that are practiced be it Christmas, yule, or anything else.​

I'm honestly not sure how this could be seen as an attempt to assault someone's religion/faith. This was clearly stated to be a post about allowing everyone to share in a holiday that has diverse roots, in response to general statements that only one group should be allowed to enjoy in this federal holiday. Sometimes reading things through and thinking on them can be helpful before posting about slights/threats that do not exist. Share the Christmas love (and chocolate covered fruits).
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Nimby Chickens. I also love the website. I'm an atheist and have never see this site before. I think I'll share it on my FB page. This as been a very interesting discussion. Thanks to the mods for letting it continue!

If any of you are Big Bang Theory fans, be sure to check out the "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" episode. Makes me cry every time I see it!

Edited to say: mmmm.... Chocolate covered cherries!

Last edited:
mom'sfolly :

Personally, I love the trappings. I love the music, the food, the holly, the presents, the lights, the family get-togethers, the parties, etc. It all brings joy.

I think one of my favorite carols, an English traditional one called "The Holly and the Ivy" may pre-date Christianity.

oh I know! Its wonderful. I just flat out love Christmas. It breaks up the monotony of a long cold winter. Such beautiful music, all the bright colors, the shining wrapping paper, the delicious food!​

mom'sfolly :

Very well put.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom