The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
It was meant to be humorous.

hmm.png

mom'sfolly :

Mathew, I would urge you to go back and reread the entire thread.

Most of what is considered "celebrating Christmas" has little to do with Christ or the celebration of his birth. That is why many Christians opt out.

Trees, holly, mistletoe, gift giving, days off work, shopping, feasting, caroling, Santa, reindeer, parties, dressing up etc. are all cultural, not religious. Acknowledging that much about the holiday is not religious does not demean the holiday or make it less significant to those who believe. It does however allow those who are not Christian to participate in a holiday that has become uniquely American. I have Jewish friends who kids are visited by Santa, and I have many Indian friends who embrace the Christmas traditions without embracing Christ.

I know they are cultural and not religious. So if you are doing the cultural events that are known to partake on that day then that is fine but if you do not do the religious aspect then it is not Christmas.​

"Seasons result from the yearly revolution of the Earth around the Sun and the tilt of the Earth's axis relative to the plane of revolution" <---- the reason for the season!

I may not celebrate Christmas but if you wish me a 'Merry Christmas', I will wish you one right back, heartfelt and true. If you wish me a 'Blessed Yule' or "Merry Solstice", I will say it right back and mean it.
I refuse to get upset over HOW you wish me a happy season. The fact that you took the time to wish me joy is all that matters to me. Love and joy, laughter, companionship and friendship are what's important.
Love one another as you would be loved yourself.
Do as you will, but harm none.

Quote:
I know they are cultural and not religious. So if you are doing the cultural events that are known to partake on that day then that is fine but if you do not do the religious aspect then it is not Christmas.

But what if you are "doing the cultural events" AND "do the religious aspect", thinking you are properly celebrating Christmas, but are unaware that the "cultural events" on which you place little importance are ACTUALLY part of the "religious aspect" of another holiday celebration? What if that tree you decorate in your home is a process of worship undertaken by people in older cultures? Doesn't that then mean you are worshiping false idols and praying to other gods?

I think this is why some Christian groups forsake anything that isn't strictly Christian on the holiday -- trees, presents, lights, etc. From their perspective, what YOU are doing "is not Christmas." So...who's right?

The point is it doesn't matter. Enjoy this time of year, however you do it. And let others do the same.

smile.png

Quote:
There are Christians who think these pagan based cultural aspects are wrong and as Christians we shouldn't participate. Christ's Mass was originally a solemn affair and for some still remains so. Personally, I love sparkly lights, carols, special food and an excuse to go home and spend a few days with my out of state family. I'm not going to begrudge anyone calling the holiday Christmas when they don't believe or wishing me Happy Holidays because I do...I'll be too busy celebrating with the people I love.

Quote:
There are Christians who think these pagan based cultural aspects are wrong and as Christians we shouldn't participate. Christ's Mass was originally a solemn affair and for some still remains so. Personally, I love sparkly lights, carols, special food and an excuse to go home and spend a few days with my out of state family. I'm not going to begrudge anyone calling the holiday Christmas when they don't believe or wishing me Happy Holidays because I do...I'll be too busy celebrating with the people I love.

Ha....we DO think alike...but I guess I type faster.

wink.png

Quote:
I think it's less a matter of offending than not including everyone -- unless "not being included" is considered offensive. If the term "Christmas" is everywhere, yet there are "belief rules" that must be obeyed in order to "properly" celebrate it, then saying "Merry Christmas" is wishing well only to those who follow the same "belief rules" for "properly" celebrating the holiday. It's sort of like saying "I wish those of you who believe as I do a happy holiday" and saying nothing to anyone else.

I like to think of this time of year as the sort of universal "wish everyone well" time, so I prefer (in my own personal usage" to say "Happy Holidays." If Christmas is your holiday, then you are not excluded in my "wish everyone well" statement.

smile.png

*Inhaling deeply* Merry-Christmas,Happy Yule, Happy Winter Solstice, Japanese New Year, Hannukkah, Las Posadas, St. Nicholas Day, Bodhi Day, Kwanza-
th.gif
Are you happy yet? I could keep going if you aren't satisfied.

Really, people. Saying "Merry Christmas," in my book, translates into "I hope you have a good December 25th."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom