The "Reason for the Season"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If some wishes me a happy holiday, I'm going to ask them which holiday, just so that they have to let the word Christ roll off their tongue.

Quote:
I REALLY like that!
woot.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
especially for the first line...why didn't I think of that? That's such a "me" response.

tongue.png

I know... when I swiped it from wikipedia I was thinking you would already have posted it
smile.png

Quote:
I thought that was the gist of what was being said. As long as someone doesn't say "I hope you have an awful December 25th" I don't care how they want to phrase it. I don't like being angry with people. It takes energy away from important stuff.

Last edited:
Quote:
if I don't know which one you celebrate you'll be told "whichever one you celebrate"
smile.png

Actually, I try to be nice, so if you are a Christian I'll wish you a merry Christmas. I wish anyone I know to be Jewish a happy hannukah, pagans I wish a blessed yule, or midwinter, or solstice.

it's solstice for everyone (either summer or winter depending on which hemisphere you're in), regardless of religion - the shortest and longest days are still the shortest in the north and the longest in the south regardless of beliefs of insignificant humans
smile.png

Quote:
I think it's less a matter of offending than not including everyone -- unless "not being included" is considered offensive. If the term "Christmas" is everywhere, yet there are "belief rules" that must be obeyed in order to "properly" celebrate it, then saying "Merry Christmas" is wishing well only to those who follow the same "belief rules" for "properly" celebrating the holiday. It's sort of like saying "I wish those of you who believe as I do a happy holiday" and saying nothing to anyone else.

I like to think of this time of year as the sort of universal "wish everyone well" time, so I prefer (in my own personal usage" to say "Happy Holidays." If Christmas is your holiday, then you are not excluded in my "wish everyone well" statement.

smile.png

*Inhaling deeply* Merry-Christmas,Happy Yule, Happy Winter Solstice, Japanese New Year, Hannukkah, Las Posadas, St. Nicholas Day, Bodhi Day, Kwanza-
th.gif
Are you happy yet? I could keep going if you aren't satisfied.

Really, people. Saying "Merry Christmas," in my book, translates into "I hope you have a good December 25th."

"Happy Holidays" in my book covers more than just that date, so that's the one I use.

wink.png

Quote:
Royd, I'm an atheist, a real one, not a pretend one. I would like to wish you a Very Merry Christmas.

I do that because I know you are a Christian and this would make you happy to hear. If I knew you were, say, Jewish, I would wish you a Joyous Chanukah.

If I say to you, "Happy Holidays", it is because I don't know what holiday you celebrate. If you would respond with, "which one?", I would say, "whichever one you like."
wink.png

Quote:
Royd, I'm an atheist, a real one, not a pretend one. I would like to wish you a Very Merry Christmas.

I do that because I know you are a Christian and this would make you happy to hear. If I knew you were, say, Jewish, I would wish you a Joyous Chanukah.

If I say to you, "Happy Holidays", it is because I don't know what holiday you celebrate. If you would respond with, "which one?", I would say, "whichever one you like."
wink.png

Hmm, good way to goabout things. I'll keep that one in mind.
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom