The reason it's cold everywhere is because we are in a solar minimum

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicken_angler, Dec 22, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    We are learning about it in schol right now, well last week. Lol

A solar minimum happens every 11 years. The last solar minimum happened in 1997. This year it is supposed to be really cold.

A solar minimum means there is a very low amount of high-level radiation. When there isnt a lot of high raditation, the Earth chills a little bit making it colder than previous years. I have never experienced anything below 10* but now it is -3* with a windchill of -30*

Just wanted to share this with all of you guys. Dont stay outside too long because it will take your breathe away.

Merry Christmas, and
    Happy Holidays,

Cody!!

2. Well that may explain it. I also hear that the earths magnetic north is shifting much faster in the last few years.

The farmers book says that this winter will have BREAKING cold temperature across north America. What is it that Al Gore said ?
    Oh, yea be sure to donate some money to my cuase, global warming is a seroius issue. [​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    We haven't noticed any global warming here in Michigan. I think we will have at least 30" of snow outside by tomorrow night.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Wow great info Cody, I hate this cold! [​IMG]

5. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Global warming reminds me of the Y2K bug...lol...any thing to scare people for a buck.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  6. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Very interesting! thanks for the share!

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Awesome information! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing. I love nerdy weather stuff.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Very interesting, Cody. I can say that this is the coldest December we've had in a long time, for sure. It was FIVE degrees this a.m.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

That is very interesting. Hmmmm. This would explain the 0 temp we had this morning. Even the heated water bowls FROZE! Im NOT enjoying frozen cracked eggs at all!!

10. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Haven't you noticed it isn't called Global Warming anymore? Now they call it "climate change" - like that's never happened before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by