1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The reason we all worry about this topic...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mikki717, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    If anyone ever wonders why we chicken herders worry so much about feeding our chooks the right food, show them the pic below. This is a chef salad I bought for lunch today at a large grocery store. Much of the contents were covered by a lable, but the date showed it was fresh... and I was hungry until I opened it and looked at the white oval items at the bottom. [​IMG] Are those supposed to be eggs? I know I have only been eating my own chickens' eggs for less than a year, but I absolutely do not remember eggs looking this bad!

[​IMG]

I truly feel sorry for the poor undernourished animal that layed this egg. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. SeattleChickenHead

SeattleChickenHead Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    I wouldnt even give that to my chickens![​IMG] compost i guess![​IMG]

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    This is why I started raising my chicks. A friend was giving us his excess eggs, but due to health problems, he had to give up his hens. After going back to store bought eggs, I decided to raise my own chicks.
    [​IMG]

4. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    That doesn't even look like a yolk.

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I am soo afraid... my hens stopped laying and I have 3 eggs left in the house and I may have to go and buy eggs.... and then I see this... I am afraid

6. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Oh I have such a hard time eating out and ordering anything with eggs!!! I've considered next time, when we go to Waffle House or truck stop to bring some eggs with me for em to cook for my meal [​IMG]

7. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    We had been getting eggs from a local organic farm CSA. These are far better than the expensive vegetarian cage free eggs from the store. I cracked the last of those eggs into a frying pan with one of my pullet eggs. I was amazed at the difference. My egg was dark and held together far better. I think it would be a fun comparison to do the same thing with a cheap store bought egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by