The Red Roof Inn..New coop and Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AugeredIn, Jun 28, 2011.

1. My wife, daughter and I have a 90 acre farm in Northwest Florida. It is something we mostly inherited. While I have enjoyed being able to get away for the weekends and my wife likes to be closer to her parents on the weekends, my daughter has been slow to find great interest in the farm. Recently though for some reason the switch on the light bulb in her head went on. I think it was raising six Khaki Campbell ducks and letting them go in the pond at the farm. Since then she has expressed a desire to raise and breed chickens. Chickens are not new to me, but they are to her. This interest has remained strong for a while so I told her we would start with one coop and run and see how it went. I probably got a little carried away given the size but here is the not quite finished coop and run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will upload more pictures and keep the thread updated as I go. We have not decided on a name quite yet, but the daughter likes "RAP Poultry Company - EGGPLANT #1". RAP is all of our first initials.

Phil

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

very nice! [​IMG]

3. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am so jealous!

4. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    That's a really pretty coop! What color are you painting it? I really like the design.

5. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    you must have some mean carpenter skills....has she picked out her breed of chickens yet? we have always had free run chickens but my grandson has decided he wants some silkies all his own he spent hours today working on his shed to keep them in and his eggs arent even laid yet! he is so excited...I hope your daughter has the same joy in hers my Daniel has in his

6. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    That's very nice! How nice to have that much space-it looks like a nice size coop and run to me. I hope your daughter enjoys the chickens! [​IMG]

7. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Excellent! [​IMG]

8. ima57boomer

ima57boomer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    I love the red roof. That's what I want on my chicken coop...being built very soon. Our house has a red tile roof, and my ultimate chicken coop roof would be that same tile, but I don't have a source for it. I sure wish I did.

9. ScouterJoe

ScouterJoe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Very cool. Is the roof corugated metal?

10. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    That is an awesome coop! Great job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by