The "refrigerator egg" thread

I had some fridge eggs I was going to hatch here- a batch I got from healthfood store, one batch from a friends fridge and some from a farm fridge. with trying to keep my incubator warm (hand towels) and i normally dry hatch but added capful of water daily the eggs ended up 2 wet. back to dry hatching- fridge eggs are pretty iffy- the eggs from my friends fridge did hatch clean though.

one coco maran and 2 blue splash marans/EE

still waiting on the farm eggs. due fri/sat

Last edited:
Part of my problem is that I will fill up both incubators... and then put the rest in the fridge. Then several will hatch from the incubator, and I won't always get enough that day to fill it back up. Or I will get plenty, but have to fill an order for hatching eggs. So, here we go again. Fridge eggs going in tomorrow! Max time in the fridge now is only one week.

Wow, your chicks are looking SO CUTE!

I have 14 eggs from the refrigerator going in. And no sooner did I get them in, but the girls started laying again! HAHA! Now I have too many for the incubator!

that can be a bad thing. I sometimes look at eggs in supermarket and think I wonder if those would hatch, but I have a small 6 egg incubator, I hand turn and have to get up and check temp. so time, space, patience is precious. I like guarantees

The ones in the supermarket definitely won't. Yeah the embryo could probably survive the refrigeration, but they definitely aren't fertile. Keep in mind that commercial egg producers keep only hens, and they squish them into tiny cages where the hens can't move around, MUCH less get out and breed with a rooster.

I have an interesting add to post. My 2 refrigerator eggs were silkies and they went under a EE hen that went broody! I just did it today also put a fresh laid egg in with the other 2. I will post development and compare. :D I will check them either Mon or Tues this week. Since I got my girls on a worming program haven't had anything to wash off. YAY

The one in Gimme Birdies' photos were frizzle. And take a guess who you know on these forums that breeds them? Hmm? Anyone? Hmm?

Me, lol!

Although right now, I'm in between breedings. I got rid of the old roo when he started to become aggressive. I have several of his offspring, but they aren't old enough to breed just yet.

The old roo was black. The ones I kept from him are black, black/brown, and blue. They are bantam cochin breed, and I'm expecting white and blue cochin chicks from McMurray in April. So there are lots of color possibilities! It's just a matter of everyone getting old enough!

Although I should warn you that my cochin frizzles are the most-wanted and most-expensive chicks I have at $12 each.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom