The rehoming a rooster thread

Roosters name: Lord Grantham (formerly Lady Mary)

Breed: Black Australorp

Weight: idk, but he's a big boy!

Size: large

About rooster (roosters personality, why you need to rehome this rooster, etc.):

Lord Grantham is a very friendly fellow! He's not aggressive at all, just very curious and cheerful. He's starting to crow every morning. Apart from that, though, he's mostly quiet. He likes to follow us around the yard, especially when my husband is doing gardening. He'll sit and wait for him to turn up worms. He's kind to the hens, but will break up fights when needed. He's alert to hawks and other dangers and always sounds the alarm.

We are first-time chicken owners, and we're apprehensive about dealing with a rooster. That's why we bought female chicks--at least we thought we did! This boy's a big sweetie. We just aren't ready to figure out how to handle a rooster right now (isolation pens, behavior problems, etc.).

Any takers? @Flockincrazy we're really close to you. Would you be able to help us out?

View attachment 2305436
Today, at 12 weeks.

View attachment 2305442
At 10 weeks

View attachment 2305443

10 weeks
Yes i can im waiting to hear from someone else when I go to get there rooster I will stop and get him it will be Thursday or Friday I will let you know which day when they message me back

Yes i can im waiting to hear from someone else when I go to get there rooster I will stop and get him it will be Thursday or Friday I will let you know which day when they message me back

Wonderful! I'm sure he'll be happy hanging out with your guys. Just let me know which day and I'll PM you my address. Thanks so much!!!

EDIT: we're right by the highway, so it'll be a quick stop for you. We're on the western side of the county, not way out by the Amish. :)

You mean my guy? We just can't figure out how to isolate him at night in the winter. We only have the one coop, and are working on a larger run. The run would be easy enough to partition but I don't want him pestering the ladies all night, and we can't let him stay out in the run in our frigid winter temps.
I'm confused, by pester do you mean mate with them? He most likely won't do that. As for his comb, it seems small enough as of right now, but living in the Midwest myself, I understand. You can put coconut oil and other substances on the keep it from getting first bitten.

I'm confused, by pester do you mean mate with them? He most likely won't do that. As for his comb, it seems small enough as of right now, but living in the Midwest myself, I understand. You can put coconut oil and other substances on the keep it from getting first bitten.

I was told I'd need to isolate him in his own bachelor pen to stop him from overmating the hens since we only have the four of them. Like I said, I'm pretty clueless about roosters. All my research was on the other side of things!

Not too worried about the comb at all. We have a White Rock hen that will need a bit of coconut oil, anyway.

He should be fine with 4 hens actually, people can keep pairs and trios without issues, if he does overmate, there is this thing called a hen saddle, it blocks their backs from getting scratched when he mounts them. If you can't keep him I understand. But I've rehome a roo myself, and I know how terrible it is.

@Chickenhappy8708 he will be a happy spoiled rooster just like the rest he will free-range supervised for most of the day get lots of treats i have 3kids and extras regularly and especially my daughter and her friends are very into spoiling our flocks and all of our animals for that matter i know it sucks to give them up but I always post pictures and tag the previous owners so they can see how they are doing and know they are OK

Attachments

• 20200821_140002.jpg
    20200821_140002.jpg
    765.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200821_135946.jpg
    20200821_135946.jpg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200821_135954.jpg
    20200821_135954.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200817_142037.jpg
    20200817_142037.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200817_142047.jpg
    20200817_142047.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200812_180512.jpg
    20200812_180512.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200812_180533.jpg
    20200812_180533.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200805_220432.jpg
    20200805_220432.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 12
My roo went to a great place also... But I couldn't sleep that night. It was all I could do to leave him, so startled and disoriented😞 but he is happy now☺

Ugh. I am not looking forward to that part. I've never re-homed ANY animal before, apart from trading a few fish with some friends. Even fish, though, we tend to hang on to. We've got two cantankerous, mean catfish that we've kept in various cichlid tanks for almost 25 years now. My husband and I keep joking that we'll need to remember to provide for them in our will!

@Flockincrazy , that looks like such a lovely place. Thank you for posting the pictures. It makes me feel a LOT better. I'm sure your kids will LOVE this guy. My son is 14 and is always chasing after him to try to hold him. The rooster puts up a good-natured attempt to escape, but if he gets himself caught he's very happy to be held and petted. He'll even jump up on your lap for mealworms.

Back
Top Bottom