the REPORT is in ... not good

yeah sounds about right.. He made it sound as if LL can be "cleared up" with sanitation .. he didn't mention Oxine I did. yet on the other hand like you pointed out "spreads easily, through dander, feed equipment, droppings, wind, shoes ect. This makes disinfecting about useless" it also is transmitted into the egg and chick when it hatched. I ASSUME .. that he means to keep the symptoms at bay keep a healthy flock and clean environment can only help keep them from weak immunes to some degree. I have read in other places some interesting things and will post what they say later to be sure im quoting things right .. with web address.

Thanks, that's about how I am understanding it as well. Learning right along with you even though I am not having this problem. (fingers crossed) there is a term for this situation with Mareks- an old farmer mentioned it as something to be aware of when buying or selling property where chickens are involved. He said if something like Mareks is present, the land is considered "chicken sick". So, you would warn a buyer or not buy chicken sick property.

Quote: Quote: You can't eradicate LL but it's not as common. I think what your pathologist meant was that the tumors can't distinguish Marek's from LL . So the blood test is needed to diagnose one of them. I just had a one year old hen necropsied and the blood and tissue came back as Marek's. Also, sometimes you can get a positive if your birds are vaccinated. That's why a history and symptoms are important. If the bird was vaccinated but had tumors that were like Marek's, and the blood test was positive for Marek's, it would be pretty positive that it's Marek's. Both LL and Marek's have very similar tumors.

Quote:

Neither can be eliminated with cleaning or yes you can kill it with cleaning but you'll never be able to get it all (in the dirt on bushes, walls, etc.) Problem with LL is that it can spread thru hatching from an LL hen, or spread in the environment.

You can't eradicate LL but it's not as common. I think what your pathologist meant was that the tumors can't distinguish Marek's from LL . So the blood test is needed to diagnose one of them. I just had a one year old hen necropsied and the blood and tissue came back as Marek's. Also, sometimes you can get a positive if your birds are vaccinated. That's why a history and symptoms are important. If the bird was vaccinated but had tumors that were like Marek's, and the blood test was positive for Marek's, it would be pretty positive that it's Marek's. Both LL and Marek's have very similar tumors.

Neither can be eliminated with cleaning or yes you can kill it with cleaning but you'll never be able to get it all (in the dirt on bushes, walls, etc.) Problem with LL is that it can spread thru hatching from an LL hen, or spread in the environment.

ok so LL goes vertical, and mareks? I know that doesn't even matter if mareks is already present where the chick hatches. just wondering if virus is inside the egg.

Thanks, that's about how I am understanding it as well. Learning right along with you even though I am not having this problem. (fingers crossed) there is a term for this situation with Mareks- an old farmer mentioned it as something to be aware of when buying or selling property where chickens are involved. He said if something like Mareks is present, the land is considered "chicken sick". So, you would warn a buyer or not buy chicken sick property.

I don't sell chickens I sell eggs to eat and was glad to hear that horizontal infection is not a problem to humans neither is the virus but what I think im reading it can run between mammals like horses cows dogs and cats... all of which I have!

this is what this said in a report there is more on it they talk about different strands and of coarse with severity in range and info on the egg transfer.
"The virus is not highly contagious compared with other viral agents and is readily inactivated by disinfectants. Transmission can be reduced or eliminated by strict sanitation. After the infection is eradicated, standard disease control and sanitation practices can keep chicken flocks free of the disease. The role of males in transmission of avian leukosis virus is uncertain. Infected cocks apparently do not influence the rate of congenital infection of progeny but act only as virus carriers and sources of contact or venereal infection to other birds." again I think the thought here is they get sick less severe or its not as likely to be activated when they get a sniffle. it has to be a big thing. If im understanding it right it may be a whole other type of Virus effecting in similar ways doing as much damage but not as sever as Marek's. ???
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid_leukosis_in_poultry.html

Last edited:
I don't sell chickens I sell eggs to eat and was glad to hear that horizontal infection is not a problem to humans neither is the virus but what I think im reading it can run between mammals like horses cows dogs and cats... all of which I have!

this is what this said in a report there is more on it they talk about different strands and of coarse with severity in range and info on the egg transfer.
"The virus is not highly contagious compared with other viral agents and is readily inactivated by disinfectants. Transmission can be reduced or eliminated by strict sanitation. After the infection is eradicated, standard disease control and sanitation practices can keep chicken flocks free of the disease. The role of males in transmission of avian leukosis virus is uncertain. Infected cocks apparently do not influence the rate of congenital infection of progeny but act only as virus carriers and sources of contact or venereal infection to other birds." again I think the thought here is they get sick less severe or its not as likely to be activated when they get a sniffle. it has to be a big thing. If im understanding it right it may be a whole other type of Virus effecting in similar ways doing as much damage but not as sever as Marek's. ???
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid_leukosis_in_poultry.html

Kinda what I'm getting out of it. Will read more tomorrow. time for bed in MI.
smile.png

Kinda what I'm getting out of it. Will read more tomorrow. time for bed in MI.
smile.png

Ok, I read the Merck article you posted. It says, "experimentally" the virus was passed to "even mammals".To me, this seems as though the mammals were exposed to extremely high levels of the virus to see if it could be (forceably) spread to them. So, under normal field conditions, I don't think horizontal transmission to your other animals is likely or probable.

Ok, I read the Merck article you posted. It says, "experimentally" the virus was passed to "even mammals". To me, this seems as though the mammals were exposed to extremely high levels of the virus to see if it could be (forceably) spread to them. So, under normal field conditions, I don't think horizontal transmission to your other animals is likely or probable.
that's great news.. okay so my ONLY issue here is what my bird has and the pathologist said I didn't need PCP real time to prove its LL it wouldn't make a difference because the age of the bird. and that the only reason it stated "OR Marek's" was because they didn't know the history of the flock or age. so I told him its history as much as possible and he said "LL like I said before" and that its VERY common with backyard flocks. should I just get a second even third opinion? I read some other reports that didn't seem to say the same thing like Marek's can be given to older birds but I cant find it know so am not sure where I read it.
I do/don't hope my flock has LL but the case that there is some paralysis involved that didn't show up right away it was like as the bird digressed, however with recounting times birds began getting sick was @20 to 24 weeks or there about makes it questionable... what are the other things that can cause paralysis?? you can discount colds or coughing sneezing and anything from eyes or coming out of mouth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom