The Rhodebar thread!

So here is what I believe to be a little girl. She's quite active already.

Pretty cute. :) I love that I am seeing barrs on her wings already.

I am really liking my Greenfire Rhodebars. Now that I have a (sorta) idea of what to look for, I checked out my chicks tonight. The males do not have the dark barring but nice crisp light and sharp bars. (I am not sure if I am using the right words so forgive me) The hens are nice and dark and they are eager to check anything out.

What I like about them is that that are very alert and striking. Their mom is a Silkie who adopted them as soon as they arrived. It's so cute as she has one or two on her back, going for a ride.

I have five old fashioned dark RIR and will be using my Rhodebar roo on them. Since I have a choice of roos, I will be asking ya'll for advice in the spring.

GF was super nice and I really appreciated the great customer service that I got. They threw in two extra hens and roos. I got some SFH and CL also. All are doing great.

The Rhodebars chicks are the first to be grubbing around and checking out anything! I like the build of them so far and very glad that I got them.

Prior I had got App Spitzhauben and Cream Legbars frm GF...I got extras and they arrived in record time. The CL got crests fairly quickly and are darling. Both sets were raised by Silkie moms. Those Silkie mom are the best and fearless.

Anyways, I am glad I got my Rhoebars....they are a nice addition to the flock! I will take pics soon!

Yes, I'd love to see your RIR hens... choosing the best of them to put the best Rhodebar cockerel on will be your quickest shot at breed improvement.
Where did your RIR come from?
All of my Rhodebar cockerels except my 2 favorites are in the slaughter pen.
One of those cockerels will go over my Rhodebar pullet, the other will go over one of my HRIR hens.
As with any breeding program the biggest thing to remember is to CULL RUTHLESSLY.
Breed only the best.

I will try to take pics of my RIR hens. I got them from a guy in the Moses Lake area who was selling his foundation heritage stock....I had ten hens and kept about half....they are dark and wider across the back. I had some hatchery RIR hens and they were lighter and not as healthy. I got rid of them. My hens don't lay everyday like the hatchery birds but they forage more. Some got broody and raised chicks and did great.

I know all about culling...I raise a rare breed of sheep and cull very hard. I culled five generations once and it broke my heart but they were not good (not good weight gain)

I figure that I will have two flocks, the breeders and the layers. When the chicks grow up, I will post pixs so I can get help on who goes into what flock! Or the stewpot.

I raise BCM and culled over 30 chicks to keep only four or so.

Diane

I will try to take pics of my RIR hens. I got them from a guy in the Moses Lake area who was selling his foundation heritage stock....I had ten hens and kept about half....they are dark and wider across the back. .

Diane
Greate, just Mate these hens to the best Rhodebar rooster you have(or the best rooster you can get your hands on) and going by my expericne with eWh/e+ chicks , most of them will be Autosexing at thatch.. some eWh/e+ chiccks will look like rhodebar chicks and some will look solid yellow. just keep the Rhodebar looking males and mate them back to the best RIR hens..

I have about ten Rhodebar roo...anyone interested in a screaming package deal three for $25. I am only going to pick three to keep. They are from Greenfire and range several weeks to just over five weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom