The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Now that you mention that, the eggs I got were a very slightly tinted color - maybe very light brown. That is very interesting info about Greenfire..... I guess you just have to know your stuff so that you are aware of the breed standard. That one chick is definitely yellow with little to no other coloring. I wonder what on earth it will turn out to be!? I also wonder if I can count on them being the correct sex for their coloring. I guess I will just have to wait and see what I have. I've had my black copper marans hatch, Norwegian Jaerhorns, Blue laced red wyandottes and now I'm waiting on my Isbars to hatch. After them, I will just have some blue ameraucanas left to hatch and will be done! I will continue to look through pictures of the Rhodebars and watch mine as they mature. Hopefully, I will at least get a trio that is true....

Angela

Now that you mention that, the eggs I got were a very slightly tinted color - maybe very light brown. That is very interesting info about Greenfire..... I guess you just have to know your stuff so that you are aware of the breed standard. That one chick is definitely yellow with little to no other coloring. I wonder what on earth it will turn out to be!? I also wonder if I can count on them being the correct sex for their coloring. I guess I will just have to wait and see what I have. I've had my black copper marans hatch, Norwegian Jaerhorns, Blue laced red wyandottes and now I'm waiting on my Isbars to hatch. After them, I will just have some blue ameraucanas left to hatch and will be done! I will continue to look through pictures of the Rhodebars and watch mine as they mature. Hopefully, I will at least get a trio that is true....

Angela
when you are aware of how chicken genetic works you just see the chicks and know if its pure or not.. the yellow chicks will look like Rhodebars when adults at least if they carry columbian and sex linked barring

Ugh. I was really hoping to get pure breeds. Is it better to go with someone who sells "show quality" birds? I would think they would have to be pure breeds. Aside from that, I guess I'd have to become an expert in chicken genetics so I could spot the "imposters" as chicks....
hmm.png
Interesting that the chicks will still grow up to look like a pure breed Rhodebar! Amazing and, obviously, the reason there can be so much confusion.
Angela

Amazing and, obviously, the reason there can be so much confusion.
Angela
thats correct. many e alles can provide you with the same outcome(Rhodebar looking birds) e alleles like wildtype e+(the Correct e allele for autosexing Rhodebars) eb brown/partridge(eb can also be used as autosexing), wheaten eWh(the ones you have on heterozygous form) all of these e alleles(e+/eb/eWh) Birchen ER(with powerful columbian restrictors) can give you the same outcome(when atdults). thats why some hatcheries could be confused about it, not understanding the genetics behind autosexing e alleles

Last edited:
So basically, the only way to know if it is a purebred is to do a genetic test?? Interesting.

I think I have 3 females and 3 males. I have 3 that have the chipmunk stripes and are darker than the other 3. The males are a lighter color and don't have as many (if any) stripes - and then the one is solid yellow! His eye is doing much better and is now open most of the time like the other eye - just not quite as big as the other eye. I hope it continues to improve....

I've been going to several websites looking at pictures of babies. One (Norwegian) website said that there is a lighter line of Rhodebars and a darker line of Rhodebars -as far as their breeding. Have you heard this? Because, some of my chicks look like the lighter line and some look like the darker line. I'm hoping it is just the difference between males and females but this just added to my confusion! LOL!

Angela

I will post it later today - I can't remember it but I have it pulled up on my desktop computer at home, I think. I've been to so many trying to figure this out!
Angela

So basically, the only way to know if it is a purebred is to do a genetic test?? Interesting.

Angela
No. but you need to know how genes affect chick down. in this case it needs to be e+ and B

I've been going to several websites looking at pictures of babies. One (Norwegian) website said that there is a lighter line of Rhodebars and a darker line of Rhodebars -as far as their breeding. Have you heard this?
Angela

the lighter line of Rhodebars are homozygous for the barring gene, while the darker Rhodebars are only heterozygous, but True breeding rhodebars are the homozygous ones

Im begining my own project to create Rhodebar line starting with a heritage welsummer hen and a golden cuckoo maran rooster then ill take the barred cross and breed it to a dixie rainbow. By the way my dixie rainbows bare a striking resmblence to the bird pictured on Greenfire farms site.

Back
Top Bottom