The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Well, if you are asking me, they were sold as Rhodebars. Most of what I have seen is showing pretty true to color and pictures don't always show the best in color. The only I have hatched turned out to be male and was a solid color chick as a male should have looked. I am battling either incubator temperature or even the chickens themselves and have not have another hatch. They just started laying a month ago. The first several eggs I kept and didn't incubate and started mid Jan., I guess so I will find out as more hatch whether they are putting out their sexed chicks.

I am expecting to buy another pair from someone else to see and compare. You have people all the time that claim they have something and so many can look very similar when looking at a picture of them.

The more I read on these birds the more I wonder. I admit, a lot of people have different thoughts on these birds but it does look like my birds could be Rhodebars if they were a lot darker.I
believe I will be starting all over again with a couple pairs from someone else.

The more I read on these birds the more I wonder. I admit, a lot of people have different thoughts on these birds but it does look like my birds could be Rhodebars if they were a lot darker.I
believe I will be starting all over again with a couple pairs from someone else.
It would help you alot if you could get yourself a Pair of Herritage RIR birds.

Hi hope all are doing great.... I agree again 100% with nicalandia.... with a good Rhodebar male... and a pair or even three... I like three females to a male..., Heritage RIR females... would be a very good start.... there is a very big point that most miss when it comes to breeding any Autosexing breed.... with one good male you can get all the females you want... in this case you just need to breed RIR females back to him... keep the females... they are Rhodebars... cull I say again CULL the males... for some reason to me with Autosexing breeds too many people want to keep what they should not... before DNA and a host of other things... old breeders knew this... "Like produces like...." To get the main male I wanted in my breeding I hatched out and culled over 72 other chicks over a span of five years... just to get him.... I have a very nice male right now.... that will NOT be in my breeding program just because he has a crooked toe....
for me I do not breed looking to see what I get but I breed knowing what I want and I keep that or keep breeding... :)

have a great one!!!

Keith
SC
USA

I guess after reading and looking at pictures I would have to say that what I have are Hambar. I see they are autosexing which I was after but I still was after Rhodebars so I guess I will see if I can sell them. I really only have room for so many chickens and someone has to go. Haven't seen a lot about people selling them so will have to try and figure out how much of my original money I might get back. Especially since I lost one of the females the other night probably by a racoon. What ashame that some breeders don't know including me. At least I didn't pay as much as Greenfire has them for sell. They are pretty roosters.

I guess after reading and looking at pictures I would have to say that what I have are Hambar. I see they are autosexing which I was after but I still was after Rhodebars so I guess I will see if I can sell them. I really only have room for so many chickens and someone has to go. Haven't seen a lot about people selling them so will have to try and figure out how much of my original money I might get back. Especially since I lost one of the females the other night probably by a racoon. What ashame that some breeders don't know including me. At least I didn't pay as much as Greenfire has them for sell. They are pretty roosters.

Where did you get your Hampbars/Hambars? You could use your rooster and cross him with dark/mahogany RIR to recreate a Rhodebar line of your own. They would probably end up being more pure than some out there...

I have these 2 hens that are just starting to lay. Less than a year old. So I am taking it that I breed these to the male Hambars and then a female offspring back to him. Would that hopefully, fingers crossed produce both male and female Rhodebars? Bright sun light might not due best judgement on color but what I have. I guess if I get some good dark females and males from the project then I have accomplished what I wanted.

Last edited:
A few months back when I was wanting to do a Rhodebar project I had posted about the line of RIRs I have that the pullets hatch out with dark lines on head, and or back, and some with the chipmunk stripes. I did not have any pics of them as chicks but I have just hatched out some of their eggs. So far I have a couple with the stripes and 1 with the chipmunk marking. I still have 19 more eggs going into lockdown tomorrow so will see if I get more of the chipmunk stripes.

Here is a pic of the chicks at 2 and 3 days old. This pic was taken under a bright overhead light so their color is washed out a bit. They are not that buff looking.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom