The Rhodebar thread!

Thats right, you got it,

Do I then breed the f2 chicks to each other when they come of age? And would that then be a true breeding flock? Let's say I went the route of breeding back the f1 hen to Rhodebar father, then breed the best of the f2 to each other...

Do I then breed the f2 chicks to each other when they come of age? And would that then be a true breeding flock? Let's say I went the route of breeding back the f1 hen to Rhodebar father, then breed the best of the f2 to each other...
they will not be F2, they are BC1(Back Cross to Parent 1)... but instead of doing a BC1 x BC1 you could breed the BC1 to the original F1(HRIRxRB) given that you chose the Double Barred e+/e+ Males, and not the e+/eWh B/B males

just to ilustrate you what I am talking about...

Rhodebar genetic make up: e+/e+ Co/Co s+/s+ B/B for male
HRIR genetic make up female: eWh/eWh Co/Co s+/- B/- ( the - means the void because they can only have one copy of the sex linked genes)

this cross would produce the F1, females, genotype e+/eWh Co/Co s+/ B/- (chipmink stripes at hatch)

this Female cross to Rhodebar male would produce the following genomes:

50% will be e+/eWh e+/eWh Co/Co s+/s+ B/B Males and e+/e+ Co/Co s+/s+ B/B males, how do you tell the difference? that my friend remains to be seen as I have yet to see this cross..

take the upgraded BC1 Rhodebar males e+/e+ Co/Co s+/s+ B/B males cross to e+/Wh Co/Co s+/- B/-

this cross would produce 50% Pure Rhodebars and 50% e+/eWh Rhodebars looking birds

Last edited:
they will not be F2, they are BC1(Back Cross to Parent 1)... but instead of doing a BC1 x BC1 you could breed the BC1 to the original F1(HRIRxRB) given that you chose the Double Barred e+/e+ Males, and not the e+/eWh B/B males

Perfect, thank you very much. I will post pictures in a couple days of what I'm working with, I hope you can chime in on which I should cook and which I should keep, for my hopeful project.

Perfect, thank you very much. I will post pictures in a couple days of what I'm working with, I hope you can chime in on which I should cook and which I should keep, for my hopeful project.
did you see how I called the BC1 Upgraded Rhodebars? yes they will be pure(at least the e+/e+ B/B males and e+/e+ B/- females) while the F1 Females are e+/eWh B/- and would look better than the Upgraded BC1 females, that single eWh gene(from RIR dam) would make them no pure Rhodebar, but hey who is keeping Tabs, they would be undistinguishable from e+/e+ B/- good Quality Rhodebar

did you see how I called the BC1 Upgraded Rhodebars? yes they will be pure(at least the e+/e+ B/B males and e+/e+ B/- females) while the F1 Females are e+/eWh B/- and would look better than the Upgraded BC1 females, that single eWh gene(from RIR dam) would make them no pure Rhodebar, but hey who is keeping Tabs, they would be undistinguishable from e+/e+ B/- good Quality Rhodebar

I'm going for good dark color and type, then purity.... so let me wrap my brain around this a little better, haha. It's a lot to digest at once, for my skill set anyway.

I'm going for good dark color and type, then purity.... so let me wrap my brain around this a little better, haha. It's a lot to digest at once, for my skill set anyway.

Where did your HRIR and RB come from? You may find that color will come easily but type will be more difficult. Much depends on the genetics you start with.

Where did your HRIR and RB come from? You may find that color will come easily but type will be more difficult. Much depends on the genetics you start with.

From first post to this thread: "I purchased 2 dozen fertile eggs from a lady I found on craigslist, she said she got hers from rarebreed.com, and that those were from Green Fire stock. I do not know anything other than what I have mentioned, regarding what is now my own flock of what I hope are pure Rhodebars. I plan on breeding my best rooster with a Heritage RIR, depending on what you all have to say about my birds. Like I said, you all know infinitely more than I do regarding Rhodebar, so I'm looking for advice."

I am currently looking for a HRIR, but I'm hoping the birds I currently have will suffice for breeding true, then I can beef them up later with HRIR. This all depends on the pictures I post Monday and what everyone has to say.

I remember the ladies rooster being lighter and more "sporadic" in coloring, guessing it was double barred gene? And I remember the hens colors differed a little from one another, and I'm sure the fertile eggs I purchased were from both hens, not just one or the other. I could ask her for pictures, if that would help? It would at least help to know the parents of my young flock, lol. But like I said, she claims them to be purebred from GFF (the eggs she gave me were brown).

From first post to this thread: "I purchased 2 dozen fertile eggs from a lady I found on craigslist, she said she got hers from rarebreed.com, and that those were from Green Fire stock. I do not know anything other than what I have mentioned, regarding what is now my own flock of what I hope are pure Rhodebars. I plan on breeding my best rooster with a Heritage RIR, depending on what you all have to say about my birds. Like I said, you all know infinitely more than I do regarding Rhodebar, so I'm looking for advice."

I am currently looking for a HRIR, but I'm hoping the birds I currently have will suffice for breeding true, then I can beef them up later with HRIR. This all depends on the pictures I post Monday and what everyone has to say.

I remember the ladies rooster being lighter and more "sporadic" in coloring, guessing it was double barred gene? And I remember the hens colors differed a little from one another, and I'm sure the fertile eggs I purchased were from both hens, not just one or the other. I could ask her for pictures, if that would help? It would at least help to know the parents of my young flock, lol. But like I said, she claims them to be purebred from GFF (the eggs she gave me were brown).

Here is the offspring. The black are BPR that were accidentally mixed in with RB eggs, according to her they never were breed together, so they can be ignored.

I see that I have one really light male, top left corner, and two darker males in right side, which makes me think they are not pure at all. At least that is what I think they are... I wasn't that much into the genetics and the breed then as I am now, I wish I had more/better pics as chicks.

Here is the offspring. The black are BPR that were accidentally mixed in with RB eggs, according to her they never were breed together, so they can be ignored.

I see that I have one really light male, top left corner, and two darker males in right side, which makes me think they are not pure at all. At least that is what I think they are... I wasn't that much into the genetics and the breed then as I am now, I wish I had more/better pics as chicks.

Center, far back, you will see a VERY dark striped female (directly behind gray colored BPR), to this day she looks VERY different from the others, again leading me to believe I have cleanup work to do with the breed.

Back
Top Bottom