The Rhodebar thread!

Here are the girls , sorted lightest to darkest. Hope I can work with them all. I should be able to get some RIR chicks that I can put in with a secondary rooster to work on the improvement of color.
I think the one on the far left is a Boy actually and not a girl(post a pic when the down is all dried up) now since I cant see the head of the chick at the far right I could also say it was a Male too, so we need better pics

Don't make me cry here. I can't have a.dozen roos and two females. Here are done pics I just took. The spot on the dark one depends on how the fluff lays.
I think the one on the far left is a Boy actually and not a girl(post a pic when the down is all dried up) now since I cant see the head of the chick at the far right I could also say it was a Male too, so we need better pics

Connie, I hate to say it, but I don't think those chicks are pure Rhodebar. But. .. Watch and see how they grow. .. I could be wrong. Let's just say I'm skeptical.

No offense taken. I am starting to think that they might have thrown in other eggs since some of them were very pretty much cream colored. I will throw in the pullet with the other layers, this way I can get some use out of her and the other reject will be culled once they are big enough to eat. I might get some more eggs from another breeder and hatch more of them. The breeder I got them from claimed that they were from Greenfire and Huckleberry farms lines. I will try a pure GF line.

Did those eggs come out of Tennessee?

Penny

Hmmm. It's all a mystery to me. There have been some strange things from some purported Rhodebar lines. Green eggs from a few places, orange hens from some place in TN (not me), lacing from some folks, and what worries more than anything is hatches from the same parents who aren't producing all autosexed chicks. To me, if you can't easily sex them then they aren't Rhodebars.
Where and how all these variables ate coming from we don't know. But i think it's great that some folks care enough to at least learn about what they have and try to perpetuate the best most accurate gene pool they can.

Hmmm. It's all a mystery to me. There have been some strange things from some purported Rhodebar lines. Green eggs from a few places, orange hens from some place in TN (not me), lacing from some folks, and what worries more than anything is hatches from the same parents who aren't producing all autosexed chicks. To me, if you can't easily sex them then they aren't Rhodebars.
Where and how all these variables ate coming from we don't know. But i think it's great that some folks care enough to at least learn about what they have and try to perpetuate the best most accurate gene pool they can.

I think most of the issues go back to GFF. They weren't exactly forthright when stock coming directly from them started laying green eggs so goodness only knows if/what they were mixing with their foundation stock to try and expand what they had. I mean, I am sure it was no small bill for them to import their stock so I would imagine they were trying to do more expanding within stock they had without having to do more importing. Anybody that has looked at their RB stock photos can tell that hen has been mixed.

RB's have not been in the US that long, at leat GFF stock, so there has only been maybe a little over a year since GFF sold stock have been old enough to be producing to get out into the mainstream. IOW, in my opinion issues that are showing up are pointing back to the original stock purchased from GFF more so then anything that those people who had purchased the stock and are now breeding them only to be getting all sorts of odd things showing up are doing. I think most people purchased the stock either directly from GFF or eggs from somebody who got their stock directly from GFF and are just breeding what they have. IOW, there is no guarantees on what you have or what you may get from any stock that came directly from GFF or next generations from GFF stock.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom