The Rhodebar thread!

His foundation birds were from gff but I've seen pics of the cock bird he used 12-18 months ago and it was less than impressive. That's no offense to Jon. None of them have been impressive.

You can know how to breed, but the best of breeders can't make something out of nothing. This older cock had more black than any other RB I've seen and zero chest (almost totally upright).
So, I'm hoping he'll chime in here and fill us in on how he aquired/achieved this cockerel. I'd love to know if he did so much breeding and culling that he eventually found the genetics deep within the GFF birds, or if he out crossed to some of the non imported Rhodebar type genetics that have been created from a few other breeds.

Yes this young cockerel still needs quite a bit of improvement,
we could pick apart his type and structure all day long. But he is an improvement, especially in color. So I myself am just curious how he got from point A to point B.

I think you will find they are from GFF. Likely early birds received from GFF. Who needs diversity in the Rhodebars, some lay green eggs, some are laced, some are more wheaten, sounds too diverse to me.
tongue.png
Sarcasm intended.

Just from doing some searches on RBA Mr Burton sells his Rhodebars as from being from GFF line. Very nice birds none the less and he knows how to breed.

All his breeds are beautiful eye candy.
Agreed, unless somebody developed their line from scratch then they came from GFF stock with all the diversity that comes along with them. I would think that the most any of those birds could be is at 4th maybe 5th generation from the GFF farm at this point so to produce a cockerel looking like that is definitely a good start, imo.

Penny

These are the our breeders form pen #2 they throw very good auto sexing chicks, nice and dark. Slightly older picture before she started laying.
I would be crossing them with some good HRIR to get them back to be more red then orange. I think the orange color is coming from crossing to production reds instead of HRIR.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom