The Rhodebar thread!

the ones in red Circle are your keepers, regardless if they are barred or not barred, males of females, the ones in white circles are culls, regardless
Maybe it is just that easy...keep the super dark ones!
wink.png

It's only that easy of you know for sure what the genetic makeup is and what you want to do with those genes. In my case only about 1/4 of these will ultimately be kept.

Hello, I'm new to this thread. I just had three Rhodebars hatch and I would like to know your opinion. Do I have two female and a male?
The other two chicks are a male and a female Legbar.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I'm new to this thread. I just had three Rhodebars hatch and I would like to know your opinion. Do I have two female and a male?
The other two chicks are a male and a female Legbar.

Thanks in advance!

That would be my best guess...1 male (not striped) and 2 females (striped)....but I've only hatched one set of RB's this last spring so I will defer to those with more experience as I suspicion they would prefer darker looking indicators if you plan to breed.

Lady of McCamley

Thanks in advance!

sorry to break it to you but the orange colored ones dont look like Rhodebars to me, if I were to answer the question technically(scientifically) At best these Orange Chicks with partial chipmunk stripes are Rhodebar improvement project(and I say at best as optimistic I can be) which will make them e+/eWh

or.. At worst they are the offsprings of an unexpected cross with a wheaten based bird, which will still make them e+/eWh as well, but instead of improvement project birds and proper F1s they will be simply "Mutts"

Questions: did you get them from a "Breeder" and hatch them?

Last edited:
That would be my best guess...1 male (not striped) and 2 females (striped)....but I've only hatched one set of RB's this last spring so I will defer to those with more experience as I suspicion they would prefer darker looking indicators if you plan to breed.

Lady of McCamley

Thank you for answering. I know they aren't very clear. It's good to see that they are sexable.

sorry to break it to you but the orange colored ones dont look like Rhodebars to me, if I were to answer the question technically(scientifically) At best these Orange Chicks with partial chipmunk stripes are Rhodebar improvement project(and I say at best as optimistic I can be) which will make them e+/eWh

or.. At worst they are the offsprings of an unexpected cross with a wheaten based bird, which will still make them e+/eWh as well, but instead of improvement project birds and proper F1s they will be simply "Mutts" 

Questions: did you get them from a "Breeder" and hatch them? 

Thank you for your information and clearness. I can send a picture to the provider of the eggs and ask for clarity.

Quote:
I would set up a separate pen to create wildtype based RIR that will come handy in the future of the Rhodebar as a breed, but thats me, I know it takes money and resources so you can cull them if you must
Quote:
the orange chicks I posted about, they cant be sexed, they are not sexable/autosexing they are e+/eWh(wheaten/wildtype heterozygotes) I would contact the breeder and ask for replacements as these chicks are not Rhodebars regardless if they are Improvement or mutts..!

I have a question.
I have two Rhodebars. They're fantastic. I've had them since February (they were a few days old).
This isn't the best picture, but they're both broody (together) right now and not feeling very photogenic.
Could someone let me know if that comb is "normal"? I'm not breeding them (don't have a male and have no interest in a breeding operation). Both of them have a "curl" in their combs.

Back
Top Bottom