The Rhodebar thread!

Yes I am going to try and make some bantam rhode bar.

Which route are you taking? Breeding down from standard or starting from scratch? I'm not sure which would be best. If I want worried about the safety of the hens I'd think using a pb Rhodebar over really nice bantam RIR hens would be best. ...but there is great bantam RIR and BR stock out there so maybe that would work, too. Probably the route I'll go.

Which route are you taking? Breeding down from standard or starting from scratch? I'm not sure which would be best. If I want worried about the safety of the hens I'd think using a pb Rhodebar over really nice bantam RIR hens would be best. ...but there is great bantam RIR and BR stock out there so maybe that would work, too. Probably the route I'll go.

I am actually going to use my RB cock with my batam RIR pullets. I am going to do the AI (artificial insemination)! I also am going to do the same with a F1 cockeral with them. Once I have more improved RB on the ground the more I can work with the bantam reds.
If you use barred rock with bantam RIR you will not have a true Rhodebar only a barred RIR . I do not think you will have the auto sexing capability . Marvin and Sheri can help better with the genetics side of that cross.

I have some young RB hens with a CCL roo. I was planning to sell their eggs for eating, but if I hatched them, would they be sexable at hatch like both parents? I would not sell these as pure RB's of course, and I know they would lay green eggs, but not breed true for that. This would be a "green egg laying sex-link", if they would be sexable at hatch.

I have rhodebar roo that is huge. I have seen him breed a silkie hen without damage.The process reminded me of those topper campers that a truck backs under. The roo didn't even have his feet on her but to the side. I agree with you with hurting the hens but it could be done.

Does anyone have a good idea to find a private ride for a cockerel from TN to OR?  Will not use postal shipping.  

That's quite a trip! You could try to get a chicken train going, or there are a # of pet transport services...they'd probably take a chicken if you ask nicely ;)

That's quite a trip! You could try to get a chicken train going, or there are a # of pet transport services...they'd probably take a chicken if you ask nicely
wink.png
I was hoping there might be a BYC transport thread or something?

Back
Top Bottom