The Rhodebar thread!

Ive just got Into rhodebars and hoping to start some nice birds out here in the west. Not looking to buy and sell but buy pullets or eggs now and start my journey with them. But wow can't find even true type. I have one really nice pullet but she has a grey undercoat so although I like her structure, I'm guessing the undercolor is hard to get rid of? A lot of people selling but I haven't found too many birds that are even close to correct type. Suggestions for finding some one on the west coast to sell me eggs or chicks?

Try @mbenker
  at Secret Hills Ranch.  http://www.secrethillsranch.com/main/?p=2364

I'd like to see cock pics and not just been pics on their page though. Can't tell anything without parent pictures.

Don't mean to change the talk about that hen possibly being the same and there is no picture of the roo on that webpage.

I did notice a rope to the leg... I don't use that type of restraint as I have more area to simply let them go in the fence for my restraint..
Does anyone on here use the leg rope to tether their chickens? I might have to try that to separate my roos during breeding season. This will still give them room, but the problem is the hens still visiting the roos....

I'm still looking for rhodebar eggs. Not sure what prices this breed goes for but the Ca breeder sells her eggs for 75.00 dz too high for shipped eggs so I'll keep looking. I have yet to find birds I like except for a woman in Maine but that's too long a distance for me.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for rhodebar eggs. Not sure what prices this breed goes for but the Ca breeder sells her eggs for 75.00 dz too high for shipped eggs so I'll keep looking. I have yet to find birds I like except for a woman in Maine but that's too long a distance for me.

If they are unimproved genetics you should be able to get eggs for $35/doz. Improved genetics (which take a minimum of 4 generations of outcrossing, backcrossing, and heavy culling) to quality standard bred RIR could possibly go for $75 IF the quality is high, the parents are proven, and you can see pics of the parents and previous offspring at both hatch and feathered out.
That said... that last sentence would be a requirement for rhodebar eggs regardless of the breeder imo.

I can barely get pics of the adults let alone other generations. I do have one question though. It seems that just about EVERYONE's rhodebars have a grey undercoat. What breeds were used to make the feathers grey. Now that Ive seen what seems like 100's of birds (not really) they all seem to have the grey. The one I have left does as well even though I like her in every other way.

I can barely get pics of the adults let alone other generations. I do have one question though. It seems that just about EVERYONE's rhodebars have a grey undercoat. What breeds were used to make the feathers grey. Now that Ive seen what seems like 100's of birds (not really) they all seem to have the grey. The one I have left does as well even though I like her in every other way.

Without newly hatched pics you really have nothing. I strongly encourage you to document.
As far as grey, probably on the pullets, it's the same reason many are getting black feathering on the cockerel's breasts - one or both Co genes are missing. Not all rhodebar have those problem. You can breed out those wrong genes if you use some correct Co in your foundation stock to cross in and then cull hard.

I'd like to see cock pics and not just been pics on their page though. Can't tell anything without parent pictures.

I just have to jump in here about Secret Hills Ranch. I can't recommend them enough. Missy is so great to work with and they have amazing, quality birds. I have a rhodebar and chocolate orpington from her in the brooder right now!

Back
Top Bottom