The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Rhode bar are produced from crossing a barred breed with a rhode island red, then back crossing to a rhode island red to get some barred birds similar to a rhode bard. The next backcross should produce good looking rhodebar. Then do a sibling cross to produce males that have two barring genes.

No reason to have a crest unless they used the legbar to introduce the barring gene.

She could be a wheaten/wild type heterozygote and that could explain some of the smut. I have seen the same thing on wheaten and melanotic hens.

Tim

I have an F1 hen that is almost 6 months. She has wonderful barring, I'll snap some pictures of her today - she is from a cross of Imported from Wales Greenfire roo to traditional and production Rhode Island red hens to make them more productive. Too bad I only got one hen to hatch :(

The rest of the flock is 2 -3 months old, so I've got a long way to go before they hit the breeding pens.

Does anyone have experience of when the reach sexual maturity? 7 months?

Hey Cheryl, i would love to see pics of your hen. did you take those yet? :)

Shoot sorry, no I completely forgot and have been super crazed, I've got 3 broody mommas and I'm moving my breeding pens! Bigger space..super excited, I'll get to keep all the rhodebars.

My older one has been lurking around the nest boxes, but of course she not with the roos and they are too young anyway.

I'll try in the next couple days, sorry about that

Shoot sorry, no I completely forgot and have been super crazed, I've got 3 broody mommas and I'm moving my breeding pens! Bigger space..super excited, I'll get to keep all the rhodebars.

My older one has been lurking around the nest boxes, but of course she not with the roos and they are too young anyway.

I'll try in the next couple days, sorry about that
Sounds good! Good Luck with the move. Glad you found a place!!

If anyone in the Middle TN area is interested, I have several Rhodebar pairs that I would like to sell. They are 5 weeks old. I got them directly from Greenfire, but have since decided that I don't want to breed them after all. I don't ship. PM if interested.

ETA: The Rhodebar pairs are no longer available. :)

Last edited:
If anyone is in the northern california area and is interested in some rhodebars, I "accidentally" won an auction for them on rarebreed.... meaning I was outbid but I guess the person ahead of me withdrew and I forgot about it only to find out I won a few days later. Ha, pretty funny. Anyway, I have six pairs and a couple extra roos and would be looking to sell a few to offset my "won" auction. I could only do local pick up... so if you are near sacramento, ca and interested, send me a message.

Back
Top Bottom