The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Since I have no confidence that any of my "Rhodebars" are purebred (because of the olive green egg), I couldn't in good conscience sell hatching eggs or chicks - even if the other two hens lay brown eggs. So I'm going to try to re-home my rooster, and I'll put the hens with my laying flock. I am done with Rhodebars and won't breed them. If any of you live near Nashville and want the rooster - you're welcome to him. I've sent GFF an email asking for a refund. I bought my hens when they were $99 each - which is a lot for a hen that's not purebred. I'm very disappointed after waiting so eagerly since March for them to start laying. I will stick with my legbars, Swedish flower hens and Araucanas. Sooooooo not happy about this!
idunno.gif

I would expect a refund in full. I'm sure you've spent more than your initial costs in feed, water and care up to this point.

You're probably better of making your own Rhodebars, using your Rhodebar roo and RIR hens. A lot of the Rhodebars I have seen do not have good type. They are supposed to be brick shaped, like a good RIR. Too many look leggy and thin like a Leghorn. Starting over with good RIR foundation stock should help correct a lot of the problems in the current Rhodebar lines.

I would love to see pictures of your RIR hens.
I'll see if I can get a few pic's today and I'll post later tonight....GFF must have used some legbar's somewhere in their line, my hen has more grayest black not the red color..I thought she was different.lol...I guess she was!!! Really thought she would grow out of it........

You're probably better of making your own Rhodebars, using your Rhodebar roo and RIR hens. A lot of the Rhodebars I have seen do not have good type. They are supposed to be brick shaped, like a good RIR. Too many look leggy and thin like a Leghorn. Starting over with good RIR foundation stock should help correct a lot of the problems in the current Rhodebar lines.

I would love to see pictures of your RIR hens.

Here's a pic I took late...they were ready for bed not pictures..........I'll get some later this week in the sunshine.

Jeremy.. you are so right about the type and shape of a Rhodebar.... after all they are simply Barred Rhode Island Reds....In the late 40' early 50' at the University of British Columbia they called them Redbars... and called Hampbars, Barred New Hampshires....
That to me is one reason to breed Autosexing breeds... well more than one really but you can create your own strain of them by simply breeding a, in this case Rhodebar male to a RIR female and create pure female Rhodebars... and you can sex them at hatch... I think too many people lose sight of the fact that with a breeding male you can get all the females you want.... just breed him back to the parent breed....

everyone have a great one!!!

Keith
SC
USA
Hampbar Breeder....

twisted rooster's bird in question has been identified as a legbar shipped mistakenly, hence the blue "green" eggs. there is no issue with the purity of GFF's rhodebar lines.

Jeremy.. you are so right about the type and shape of a Rhodebar.... after all they are simply Barred Rhode Island Reds....In the late 40' early 50' at the University of British Columbia they called them Redbars... and called Hampbars, Barred New Hampshires....
That to me is one reason to breed Autosexing breeds... well more than one really but you can create your own strain of them by simply breeding a, in this case Rhodebar male to a RIR female and create pure female Rhodebars... and you can sex them at hatch... I think too many people lose sight of the fact that with a breeding male you can get all the females you want.... just breed him back to the parent breed....

Keith
SC
USA
Hampbar Breeder....
Hi Keith,

Do you have any pic's of your Hampbar's??

Here's a photo of the three eggs laid so far by my Rhodebar from GFF. I put some varying shades of brown eggs on either side to show the color better.

I have 3 females and 1 male. I'm not sure which female laid the egg. The three females look basically the same although one has more barring than the others. The first picture was taken a couple months ago. The others were taken this week.

Here's a photo of the three eggs laid so far by my Rhodebar from GFF. I put some varying shades of brown eggs on either side to show the color better.

twisted rooster's bird in question has been identified as a legbar shipped mistakenly, hence the blue "green" eggs. there is no issue with the purity of GFF's rhodebar lines.

So how do you explain the above?

Here's a pic I took late...they were ready for bed not pictures..........I'll get some later this week in the sunshine.

I like the hen on the left, she has good color. If I were undertaking this project I would start by using the deepest mahogany colored females I could possibly source. You want your Rhodebars to have a deep mahogany color as well.

This is a single factor barred male created here in the US by tadkerson[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. He has a nice deep mahogany color, double factor males will be lighter in color.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Keith
SC
USA
Hampbar Breeder....

goodpost.gif

Any updated pictures of your Hampbars Keith?

Back
Top Bottom