The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
I need to sell a few of my rhodebar males as I have 5 in the pen right now and I notice the ladies kicking it all day on the roost so as not to be overwhelmed with attention and I am narrowing down to the 2 that I will plan on keeping to breed with my ladies, so that makes 3 rhodebar cockerels that need a new home.

I need to sell a few of my rhodebar males as I have 5 in the pen right now and I notice the ladies kicking it all day on the roost so as not to be overwhelmed with attention and I am narrowing down to the 2 that I will plan on keeping to breed with my ladies, so that makes 3 rhodebar cockerels that need a new home.
We had four in a pen growing up as well. There did not seem to be any issues as they grew up and we were watching to see which we would use. But one day we found a dead rooster. Couldn't discern a cause for his demise. Certainly did not suspect another rooster as we had not seen any bickering. Then a couple days latter two more dead roosters. Still had not seen bickering but dang we found ourselves down to two roosters and one is a runt we will not use. This rooster is very good looking and quite large. We next found a dead hen, she was too small for his advances. So, now he is in a pen alone until the hens are all fully grown. We have never had anything like this before and just thought you mike like a heads up. Remember we did not see fighting going on to warn us.

Quote: At what age did this occur? Mine are about 6 months old. There is one roo a week or two older than others who is dominant but yeah haven't seen any aggression with me or each other. I am about to separate them into two breeding groups which should help to reduce the numbers. But, just curious when you saw that happen.

Papa Brooder,

I believe the rooster was about 5 mounths old. He was the most mature and robust but theree was another nearly as filled out.

My first rhodebar eggs hatched today and got a pair. pretty cool!

Beautiful! Today I put the 12 olive-colored eggs I've collected so far from my Rhodebar in the incubator. Greenfire swears they are purebred. So I'm going to see if they're autosexing at hatch. Maybe an olive-egg laying Rhodebar won't be a bad thing. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom