The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Why are you being mean?

first I cant stand uninformed(genetically) posts.. and you are the one being mean calling other people "Hybrid Mutts" which they are clearly not(Genetically)

At the risk of coming off really cranky (just replied to Jeremy), I really do want to understand why folks are posting *here* about hybrid mutts.

first I cant stand uninformed(genetically) posts.. and you are the one being mean calling other people "Hybrid Mutts" which they are clearly not(Genetically)
What, precisely, gives you the impression that I am "uninformed"? If you believe that a chick from breeding anything back to just *one* of the breeds it originally came from is a purebred, then you are the one woefully uninformed.

I never called ANYONE a hybrid mutt - just the birds. Either it's a hybrid/mutt (with purpose = "project", if you will) or it's purebred. That's just reality. You appear to not have read my posts very thoroughly to be combining all of this.

And you never did answer the original question on what is "so much wrong" with my original post. Or is that just trollbait?

I am not quite understanding the issues here. Why would you not use a Rhodebar and Rhode Island Red to improve the Rhodebar.

"It is a heavy breed which should have all the characteristics of the Rhode Island Red, it was created as a utility laying breed with dual purpose qualities; or perhaps more simply an autosexing version of the Rhode Island Red itself." harislau.info

As a means to improve the birds back to the SOP and the SOP being that of the Heritage RIR that would be the only means I would think. I am not seeing any Brussbars available. I would assume the only reason the Brussbar was used would be to integrate the wild-type e+ coming from the Brown Sussex (which are rare enough as it is).

If the qualities of the bird meet the SOP, has auto-sexing chicks that breed true, why would they not be Rhodebar. I can understand that they are project birds until they meet these standards though.

I am not quite understanding the issues here. Why would you not use a Rhodebar and Rhode Island Red to improve the Rhodebar.

"It is a heavy breed which should have all the characteristics of the Rhode Island Red, it was created as a utility laying breed with dual purpose qualities; or perhaps more simply an autosexing version of the Rhode Island Red itself." harislau.info

As a means to improve the birds back to the SOP and the SOP being that of the Heritage RIR that would be the only means I would think. I am not seeing any Brussbars available. I would assume the only reason the Brussbar was used would be to integrate the wild-type e+ coming from the Brown Sussex (which are rare enough as it is).

If the qualities of the bird meet the SOP, has auto-sexing chicks that breed true, why would they not be Rhodebar. I can understand that they are project birds until they meet these standards though.

you are correct, Rhodebars should always go back to RIR from time to time to Obtain or Maintain its utility traits, that is only because RIR outnumber the Rhodebars many folds and this allows them to mantain its Utility traits

We also have Greenfire Rhodebars. While they may have just started laying I am not certain because they currently reside in a mixed pen. We do have EE hens in there as well. I think the new smaller eggs are from the Rhodebar and they are light tan/cream. However we don't know with certainity and we can wait till spring when our matings are sorted out to determine this egg color delima. I remember Greenfire stating they used RIR to bolster the Rhodebar. I beleive they siad they used both heritage RIR and production RIR. Might the production RIR somehow have carried the blue egg gene? We intend to obtain the best heritage RIR we can find and cross them back to the RB. We want the Rhodebar as dark as we can get them. We also have Marraduna Basque which can look recomarkable simliar to the RB. Our intent is to breed those to the lighter more yellow coloration.

Back
Top Bottom