The Rhodebar thread!

Pics
Cross the male to a dark rhode island red hen and the barred offspring will be much better looking. More like this. The rhode island red have to be very dark to get this color. The barring gene lightens the red color.

LL
A dark female and good egg layer too look at the bleached out legs.

LL

Tim

Last edited:
Cross the male to a dark rhode island red hen and the barred offspring will be much better looking. More like this. The rhode island red have to be very dark to get this color. The barring gene lightens the red color.

LL
A dark female and good egg layer too look at the bleached out legs.

LL

Tim
I love your birds Tim...

Cross the male to a dark uhode island red hen and the barred offspring will be much better looking. More like this. The rhode island red have to be very dark to get this color. The barring gene lightens the red color.

Tim
ok it took me a while to recover from the beauty shock, Tim this cross will not produce autosexing birds for two reazons, heterozygosity of sex linked barring(hemizygous for females) and heterozygosity of e+ wildtype(eWh/e+)

Ive been thinking about creating an Autosexing bird like the Rhodebar but to backcross to RIR as much as I want but e+ wont allow for this(you could only get to F1 to do F1xF1, that is u nless you could tell the eWh/e+ heterozygotes from the eWh/eWh homozygotes)..changing the e from e+ to ER seems to be the Only way of doing this as this would allow us to oeep the ER/eWh chicks from the eWh/eWh

Rhodebar were not very good autosexing birds. I thought thy wanted to produce a barred rhode island red.

I would not be satisfied with the birds until the color was correct. I would then cross two barred birds together to produce some birds that carried two barring genes.

Tim

Rhodebar were not very good autosexing birds. I thought thy wanted to produce a barred rhode island red.

I would not be satisfied with the birds until the color was correct. I would then cross two barred birds together to produce some birds that carried two barring genes.

Tim
The main reason I purchased the Rhodebars is for the auto sexing! We will improve the color by culling. If we manage to obtain some good heritage RIR then we may attempt the back croos to improve color but the auto sexing is paramount to the Rhodebar.

The main reason I purchased the Rhodebars is for the auto sexing! We will improve the color by culling. If we manage to obtain some good heritage RIR then we may attempt the back croos to improve color but the auto sexing is paramount to the Rhodebar.
the reason his birds were not good autosexing is because they were based on eWh/eWh(wheaten) but you if you can get a good quallity Heritage RIR you will improve color and type and regain utility triats, but these Rhodebar x RIR birds wont be autosexing at this stage, what you do is use the best hen out of this cross(RBxRIR) and cross her back to the Best Rhodebar cock you can find, the backcross to Rhodbar will yield 50% autosexable chicks that have a better quality to them

the reason his birds were not good autosexing is because they were based on eWh/eWh(wheaten) but you if you can get a good quallity Heritage RIR you will improve color and type and regain utility triats, but these Rhodebar x RIR birds wont be autosexing at this stage, what you do is use the best hen out of this cross(RBxRIR) and cross her back to the Best Rhodebar cock you can find, the backcross to Rhodbar will yield 50% autosexable chicks that have a better quality to them

Question for you while I still contemplate going ahead with my Rhodebar project or canning it. I just hatched out some heritage RIR chicks. I noticed the differences in down color between them. I have researched coloring and sexing of RIR and according to the studies I have read RIR chicks with black spots/stripes are generally female. I have noticed that my chicks with black spots/stripes also have thin black stripes coming from the outside of their eyes.

Is the down color, spots, stripes, eyeliner etc due to genetic differences in the RIR or are they all still genetically wheaten? Would any of these be better to use in an autosexing program? Or am I just grasping at straws?

Back
Top Bottom