The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bee - question about pumpkins, I just put some in for my girls, tenative at first, but they are warming up to it....what's the best way to "serve" it and what about the seeds???
I'm watching along with Leahs mom. I put one out in the run and they're being cautious about the whole thing. I took the seeds out just to be safe.

I'm watching this one too...I just cut one open and put it out for mine but I noticed that you cooked yours when you put it out for the group you're nursing. I was assuming the cooking was because they're "under the weather" to draw them in and make it easier for them? I'm guessing you don't usually cook it?

caf.gif
As am I. Its hard cutting up fresh squash to give to the hens because it is so hard but baking them for a little while will definetly make it easier for me to cut up so I can freeze them. I think it would be the same for pumkins & gourds? I did take out the guts from some other acorn squash & a butternut squash I grew that was to small for me to eat & had cooked. Girls thought it was candy.......and they ate the seeds with no problems.

They can eat the raw squash but they def dont eat as much of it till it sits out there for a few days & softens up

Last edited:
As am I. Its hard cutting up fresh squash to give to the hens because it is so hard but baking them for a little while will definetly make it easier for me to cut up so I can freeze them. I think it would be the same for pumkins & gourds? I did take out the guts from some other acorn squash & a butternut squash I grew that was to small for me to eat & had cooked. Girls thought it was candy.......and they ate the seeds with no problems.

They can eat the raw squash but they def dont eat as much of it till it sits out there for a few days & softens up

That's what I was wondering about. I just went out and checked on the two pieces I had given them, all the attached gut stuff is gone and they are working on the flesh part. It has all kinds of peck holes in it. It seems like it's two of the girls that are really into it.

Can't tell you if Bee cooks teh pumpkin first but I do know that they definitely can and should eat the seeds. It seems the seeds contain some substance that is a natural wormer of a sort.

Can't tell you if Bee cooks teh pumpkin first but I do know that they definitely can and should eat the seeds. It seems the seeds contain some substance that is a natural wormer of a sort.
I think they ate the few seeds that were with the pieces I put in...not very many seeds were on those two pieces...I figure if two of them are getting into it, the others will follow. i just thought I'd try it out today and see how it goes, they will certainly have more coming. In some of the old threads, people just tossed the whole pumpkin in and said all was good.

I feel much better now. I have eaten most of the pumpkin seeds which I haven't shared with the chickens. I don't think they will eat them.I will--I prefer not to have woms myself.
Okay. I checked. They will eat the seeds if I shell them. I have my limits.
They are strange picky eaters but they loved Bee's recipe for cooked pumpkin mixed with cottage cheese and topped with red pepper flakes--the dogs like it too.

Not so sure I'm up to shelling pumpkin seeds for chickens!!!! They'll have to learn to do it on their own!!! Don't have any cottage cheese in the house right now...pepper flakes on just plain pumpkin maybe? I'll try cooking a piece of pumpkin tomorrow...I MIGHT share seeds, after all I don't want worms either! Looks like they are doing pretty good on the raw pumpkin, they just have to work a little for it and that's good too.

WOWZA!!! You folks are on it today! I've been outside making the coop cozier for the Raggedy Bunch and haven't been on here all day....gotta get into this game and play.
big_smile.png

I'm watching this one too...I just cut one open and put it out for mine but I noticed that you cooked yours when you put it out for the group you're nursing. I was assuming the cooking was because they're "under the weather" to draw them in and make it easier for them? I'm guessing you don't usually cook it?

caf.gif

You are correct, I usually don't cook it. Actually, I usually don't even feed pumpkin at this time of the year. I usually store the pumpkins in a barn and let them freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw and ferment along the way. Long about Feb. I get one out and let the birds tear it to shreds. The whole process removes the fluid, softens the whole thing~skin included~and causes the starches to change to sugar. This way the nutrition is more easily utilized by the birds, the pumpkin is easier to eat, it's the time of year in which they haven't had any fresh fruit, greens, etc, and they will practically go into a feeding frenzy to get the pumpkins....this makes sure there is nothing wasted. Also? The pumpkin seeds are a good spring "tonic" right before they start ramping up to lay...cleans out the pipes,so to speak, if there is anything clogging the works.

The only reason I cooked it was to convert the starches and allow for ease of eating. I removed the seeds before cooking and just fed the pulp and seeds as is...they ate them. Usually this flock will not eat them like that...they usually have had so much garden produce and apples by now that they will turn up their noses at pumpkin seeds. Usually. But these birds haven't seen a fresh thing to eat in a very, very long time. They consumed those seeds like a mule eatin' briars...grinning and smacking their non-existent lips!
big_smile.png

Bee - question about pumpkins, I just put some in for my girls, tenative at first, but they are warming up to it....what's the best way to "serve" it and what about the seeds???

See above. If you simply must feed it now, you could try cooking it....just split it in half, remove the seeds and wrap it in tinfoil, place on a cookie sheet and bake it. Whatever temp gets it done...I used 350 for about 45 min. Then add the seeds back into it and see how they like it. This removes the excess fluid as well and softens the skin and meat for ease of eating. If they don't seem like they want to try it, you can sprinkle it with BOSS or put cottage cheese or anything else they really like to get them started.

Quote: Thank you so much, Dee! I'm so glad that others can identify with what this flock is going through. I guess it's all the more sad because I know what they used to be like and how beautiful they once were, what kind of life they had once. It's all coming back but it will take awhile for them to recover "the good life" they once had.

Not so sure I'm up to shelling pumpkin seeds for chickens!!!! They'll have to learn to do it on their own!!! Don't have any cottage cheese in the house right now...pepper flakes on just plain pumpkin maybe? I'll try cooking a piece of pumpkin tomorrow...I MIGHT share seeds, after all I don't want worms either! Looks like they are doing pretty good on the raw pumpkin, they just have to work a little for it and that's good too.

Maybe just chop them up with cleaver a bit (the seeds!! lol) My girls go for small bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom