The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on those grains and supplements being fed. Nutritional yeast is 39% protein!
th.gif
BOSS is 26.3...so depending on how much you are feeding of these types of whole grains.

When supplementing with both, you are essentially, boosting your 16% layer ration to 81% at any given time. This is pretty bad mojo for tiny chicken kidneys.

If feeding 18% layer and the fermented feed increases the utilization of that layer protein, you may actually be getting a good part of the actual 18% you are feeding. What the FF does is increase the absorption and availability of the proteins you are feeding, not necessarily increasing the actual total protein that is fed. When not using the fermentation on the same feed, a goodly portion of your 18% is being expelled onto the coop floor because it didn't get broken down well enough to be digested and utilized by the bird.

This makes sense . (had read on the OT thread that I should up the protein for FF or lots of oats or scratch) Thnx,BK.

Last check of the night on the Gnarly Bunch: Guess who has a perfectly clean butt and perfectly normal poops??? Yes! You guessed it! Miss Messy Butt of the infamous butt pictures!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

That does it...I'm buying stock in NuStock.
cool.png

Clean, pink and no juice, no smell, no runny brown discharge, no swelling. Watched a normal chicken poop drop as the light was shining directly on it...no signs of ulcers at the corners of the vent.

Two days from that horrible picture....now, nothing.
th.gif

I've decided to call her Ruby Crockett, after my granny.
big_smile.png

I wonder how Nu-Stock would work for human ladies?
lol.png

look at this.... a thread with my favorite 2 online mother figures
big_smile.png
. And favorite people
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks, but....somehow, I don't think I will find those links a bit useful....
wink.png

Long ago, I learned to never type when my hands are trembling due to somethin' I've read, and your albeit polite dismissal of the following links forced me to take an extended break for coffee, and time w/ my dog/keets/chicks. You did, after all, invite this entire community to follow your post, and for the purposes of learning and sharing.

Perhaps a more in-depth explanation of these links will compel you to reconsider them.
If not? I'd sure appreciate your own esplanation as to why ...

Link #1 of 4:

http://www.clemson.edu/public/lph/ahp/disease_links/images/poultrydiseases.pdf

COMMON DISEASES OF CHICKENS, TURKEYS & GAMEBIRDS
was published NOV 2004, and is but one of a handful of manuals written by Julie D. Helm, DVM, DACVP, of Clemson Livestock-Poultry Health. She is employed at Clemson University to this day, where she has been nationally recognized for her work, and holds the following list of impressive titles:
Poultry Veterinarian, Animal Health Programs
Extension Veterinarian - Poultry
Adjunct Professor, AVS
SC National Poultry Improvement Plan (NPIP) State Inspector
Foreign Animal Disease Diagnostician (FADD)

Link #2 of 4:

http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/diseases_poultry_diagnosis_symptoms.pdf

POULTRY DISEASE DIAGNOSIS BASED ON SYMPTOMS
enables simpler folks like me to identify poultry diseases and maladies symptomatically, and is a living document provided by the Cooperative Extension Service at Mississippi State University.

Link #3 of 4:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/toc_200000.htm

THE MERCK VETERINARY MANUAL
is now in it's Ninth Edition, and has served veterinarians and other animal health professionals as a concise and reliable animal health reference for over 50 years.

Link #4 of 4:

http://archive.org/stream/diseasesofpoultr00pea#page/n7/mode/2up

DISEASES OF POULTRY,
Their Etiology, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention,
was published in 1915, and co-written by three biologists in the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station, and is my favorite for reading, as it is an actual copy of the original from Smithsonian Libraries, and provided by archive.org (yet another favorite, among my favorites ~'-)

I know it must be confusing for you, considering the bulk of the information and threads that are the norm on BYC that I don't find these links particularly helpful. I think if I were planning on having those diseases in my flocks or even fearful of having all those poultry diseases in my flocks, I might perk up my ears and give a listen as the "experts" tell me how to treat all these diseases according to USDA specifications. But I don't and I'm not, so I probably won't.

As the husbandry methods the women in my family have employed for 3-4 generations have developed flocks that do not normally have maladies or infestations, I think I prefer to trust in the preventative nature of these husbandry methods instead of relying on what science and the government can tell me about diseases and treatments. After all, look at the mess they have gotten our food systems into..who in the world would listen to them now?

Don't get me wrong...information is a great tool and for those who choose to use these particular tools to manage their livestock, it would be valuable. As I have gotten by admirably for the past 36 years without those links and the information therein holds not much of a natural or holistic approach to chicken husbandry, they hold little mystery for me. I'll continue to always strive to learn all the aspects of chicken husbandry~within the margins of what I consider is the more wise approach~preventative, natural, healthy and without the use of modern medicine.

It has served me and mine very well all these years and, if you only take time to read the thread, you might see the results of this type of husbandry as opposed to those who use the methods found in those particular books and articles. All of these links are proponents of the very management that brings about the diseases and problems you see on this forum every day....disinfecting the coop surroundings, giving antibiotics, deworming with chemical dewormers, biosecurity measures, overcrowding, penning the animals instead of free ranging on fresh soils,etc. ad infinitum.

This article has a clear title and the thread has a clear topic of health restoration using all natural means and methods....first, that it should never have happened in the first place if there had been proper care.

Second, the proper care cannot be found in a book or bottle, but can be found outside and in wholesome feeding and housing methods.

Third, the parasite and fungal problems found in this flock did not require the more popular, but largely ineffective, treatments that are expounded upon in these books. Just a few simple, natural treatments that worked in a few days time.

I'm sorry I made your hands shake by politely refusing information that has proven to be the downfall of modern animal husbandry but I must stick to the proof I see in my own back yard as to the effectiveness of my methods....and I can read about the egg and meat recalls from the businesses using the methods in those books in my local paper.

This thread is about an education of a different kind than you are currently in possession of~judging from the links you have proffered~ and one that is very much needed on this forum. In case there is still confusion, the title even talks of a road that is less traveled and, if you had bothered to read the thread, you would find the premise of this thread~that I feel this road is one that many need to find again... and get off the treadmill of government recommended animal husbandry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom