The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I like that one even better! Bee Thankful describes me to a T, though probably not the blog site. I am thankful for so many things in my life but I am supremely thankful for all the sweet, bright and wonderful people on this thread like you, Melabella. You all don't know how much I needed you~ but I did. I was so needing this... and God brought me back together with my good old birds and then He gave me you all and it was like the sun coming out after a 3 weeks of rain.
love.gif

I haven't had any good girlfriends for so long that I didn't think such a thing existed any longer but I really feel like I have met some on this thread.

I was just telling God today that He is probably really tired of me saying "thank you" for every minute of the day but I can't seem to stop thanking Him for all the blessings in my life right now. I'm like a broken record!
big_smile.png
Amen, sister! That is the dang truth and I am thankful for you all and for this thread each and every day!

BDM ,do they ship mugs to aussie,be a great xmas present for myself Lol
I don't know Pete, but perhaps we could find a way of getting one to you. I don't know how much the shipping would be across the pond... or if it would arrive in one piece. Perhaps we should try to send you the unbreakable travel mug - LOL!

And Bee - fantastic write up about feeding based upon natural cycles!! (didn't want to quote that monster and threadpass against us - LOL!

When things go awry, look to nature and how things were created before there was human intervention! That has become my mantra over the last 10 years. Thank you so much for translating that mantra into chicken feed for us!

I say we all chip in for a vacation to Aoxa's for a little field trip & stay in her bed & breakfast
big_smile.png
Maybe we could sneak out a few birds when we leave as parting gifts?
cool.png
I love the pics Aoxa....I love the BR's....its what I would like to add to my flock. I love the barred look of them.

Thank you Bee for your words of wisom yet again.
bow.gif

Now here is a quick question for you or the other OT's......You said you cut the layer rations back this time of the year. I understand the theory for that. As of now I have been giving half layer pellets & half scratch,BOSS, Oats mix. Since one of the hens just started laying should I increase the layer rations some in the FF? I know this time of the year most hens start slowing down laying eggs but I didnt know since mine just started laying that maybe they will need more of the nutrition in the layer pellets in their foods? Or should I just leave the mix the way I have it for the winter? I would think I should continue the layer pellets through the winter since they will be just starting to lay? And then increase it in February or March when they start laying more?

Thanks
caf.gif

I would leave it as she lies. I don't adjust to the individual hen but to the flock. If they all start laying, you can up that layer a little but I wouldn't go whole hog on it. You really want to get them in a cycle like the one described and young hens will lay in the winter when only a few layer type birds will be doing so. I don't accommodate that as much as others would because it's just starter eggs. They don't need the better nutrition until they are going into reproduction instead of just production. I'd see how they go along on your ration you have now and up it when the season flows. Every year I have new layers laying in the winter~and some of the oldsters~ and I do not adjust my ration for them...and they lay right along just fine.
First, I am on a chrome browser so it won't let me get outside of the box to write...or let me format anything, so sorry in advance.
Wonder what words of wisdom from a hen would be?

Let me be a bird.
Very, very clear and Bee I have to tell you...your words just flow! I wish I could put down what I'm thinking as clearly as you.....you have a talent (from God) Jeepers.....it's like reading poetry!

And here I was thinking it was way, way to wordy and going around the rose bush too many times to make a point. It could definitely be edited for more flow, I'm thinking. Yer makin' me blush, Love!
gig.gif

Quote:

And I'm copying down all your amazing wisdom, putting on a few rare tweaks... and your book is writing itself. Just keep doing what you do best, Bee, and in the next few months - who knows? We may be ready to publish.

It's an honor to be allowed to take all your words and start wrapping them up in packages - first for the blog, and soon into a book. I truly believe things happen for a reason, and I have never felt more "in my element" than I do now. I'm living on the farm of my dreams (even though I'm just renting), I'm back to riding horses, I love keeping chickens, and now I have an outlet for my passion for writing... and I even get to do some silly artsy stuff as I go! My heart is so full right now... and that says a lot coming from a mom of a ADHD 17-year-old, and two special needs girls! LOL!

You know - I've been thinking a lot about it. The market for frou-frou ribbons, bows and gingham farm and animal info is huge. It's a fad. Like bell bottoms and permed hair, it will pass. I have a feeling there are going to be a LOT of people out there just waiting for the torn denim and leather version chicken keeping info. We just have to reach them.

The folks on this thread... it's like having a second family... that you actually like!

Oh -and if we go on a book signing tour someday, pleased don't be shocked when Bee and I show up in jeans. Of course I'll leave Bee's wardrobe up to her, but I see no need for dressing all fancy to promote Bee's back-to-basics book. It would be contradictory - LOL!

And I'm copying down all your amazing wisdom, putting on a few rare tweaks... and your book is writing itself. Just keep doing what you do best, Bee, and in the next few months - who knows? We may be ready to publish.

It's an honor to be allowed to take all your words and start wrapping them up in packages - first for the blog, and soon into a book. I truly believe things happen for a reason, and I have never felt more "in my element" than I do now. I'm living on the farm of my dreams (even though I'm just renting), I'm back to riding horses, I love keeping chickens, and now I have an outlet for my passion for writing... and I even get to do some silly artsy stuff as I go! My heart is so full right now... and that says a lot coming from a mom of a ADHD 17-year-old, and two special needs girls! LOL!

You know - I've been thinking a lot about it. The market for frou-frou ribbons, bows and gingham farm and animal info is huge. It's a fad. Like bell bottoms and permed hair, it will pass. I have a feeling there are going to be a LOT of people out there just waiting for the torn denim and leather version chicken keeping info. We just have to reach them.

The folks on this thread... it's like having a second family... that you actually like!

X2
highfive.gif

Oh -and if we go on a book signing tour someday, pleased don't be shocked when Bee and I show up in jeans. Of course I'll leave Bee's wardrobe up to her, but I see no need for dressing all fancy to promote Bee's back-to-basics book. It would be contradictory - LOL!

I didn't know there was anything else out there but jeans!
lau.gif

I have to edit this.....
hmm.png
there are sweat pants and tie around the waist comfy pants........

Last edited:
And don't be surprised if we show up in jeans, sweatshirt jacket, and duck boots caked with . . . poo!

Another good benefit of FF . . . got to work the other day and crossed my legs only to find a huge hunk of chicken poo stuck to the instep of my shoe. The good news was that - due to the FF - it didn't smell so no one knew!

Yes!!!!
gig.gif
Family that I like is a great way to put it! It goes without saying that I love my real family but I do not really like many of them. I really like and love many of you and I wish all of our houses were on the same stretch of country road so that we could hop on the horse, in the farm truck or on the four wheeler and buzz over and natter on the porch swing of an evening, get together to have giant yard sales, bonfires, processing and farm workings. You know, how life USED to be in a good farm community.

And I also think you are right....jeans and leather is a good term for it, though it might be more accurate to say duck cloth or canvas instead of leather...Bee can't afford leather!
lol.png

There's something other than jeans??? Oh, you mean my sweat pants! Whew! Ya had me goin' there for a minute....
th.gif

Last edited:
And don't be surprised if we show up in jeans, sweatshirt jacket, and duck boots caked with . . . poo!

Another good benefit of FF . . . got to work the other day and crossed my legs only to find a huge hunk of chicken poo stuck to the instep of my shoe. The good news was that - due to the FF - it didn't smell so no one knew!

That's what I keep reminding the Bat about!
gig.gif
As you know, she is a clean freak and she is freaking out about all the chicken love deposited around the back porch, under her carport and around her outbuilding. I keep saying, "The good news is that it's "clean" poop~no smell!"....I don't know if she's buying that, though.
hu.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom