The road less traveled...back to good health! They have lice, mites, scale mites, worms, anemia, gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
:) I am in awe.. They are looking so much improved. Well done Bee !!! Congratulations must be given..

Bee..do you still have a dog out there with your birds? I'm still really afraid to let mine range the whole property so keep them in electro net...but there's 2 acres their house sits on and another 10 next door they could use...

Thank you! It helps to have a cheering section!
big_smile.png
They've got a long road back from where they are to where they used to be but they've started out with a good stride in that direction.

I still have one problem child with gleet. I check her every night when I can get a good visual on her vent and it is looking drier, I see less wet and stinking feathering but she will need additional treatment. She really smells bad and her vent is still oozing brown stench...but other than that she is very healthy, glossy and acting well. I don't see how but she is.

As soon as I get all my NS ingredients and make me a batch, we are going to tackle this hen once again. I'm going to soak all the crusted residue of drainage(I'll try to get good pics before we start and then an after) and do a wash of iodine solution. Then I'm going to protect the skin below her vent with a mix of NS and bag balm as a more thick moisture barrier to this skin. I'm thinking I will also place some NS directly inside the vent.

While I have this hen, I may also syringe a dose of olive leaf extract into her. Can't hurt and it will insure that this low totem flock member actually gets the OLE instead of hoping she will get it when I place it on top of the feed. By the time she gets to eat, the choice bits of food off the top are already gone and I doubt she is getting an adequate amount of the OLE.

He's getting there....his cock feathers are gone and he is about 3-5 lbs underweight. When he gets his bulk back and his full plumage he is a sight to behold. You can see even in this pic where his chest muscles are wasted and his neck is scrawny. Wait until you see him at full recovery....he is a beautiful, regal beast.
smile.png

These pics don't do them justice and I can't get them to hold still long enough to take good, broadside and close up pics. They are wary as any free range flock should be and so getting pics of them in good light and in a good position is proving difficult for me. Raggedy Ann is getting so much feathering now and is so smooth and clean! Little Red is filling out and her feathering is healthier looking. They all are starting to show more sheen and smoothness to feathering and scale, more alertness in the eyes...combs are still pale and dry but I expect this will take time.

Even Turkey, that little mutt chicken with a keel as sharp as a knife, is showing some more weight on her chest...it's subtle but the feathers there are showing less of a ridge.

I'm impressed with their progress as well and can only credit the wood ashes for ridding them of lice and mites, the Nu Stock for ridding them of the scale mites, the FF for better health and absorption of nutrients, and an outside life for all the other improvements. It doesn't take much to get and keep a flock healthy, does it?
I think its back to the basics at least with me. I've neglected the basics I BBQ all the time & have neglected putting the ash in their dirt bath area. I've been throwing it in the compost pile but not utilizing the ash for my birds. I just need to stay focused & I think my birds will benefit. This thread has helped me get back to what really needs to be done to help my birds to be healthier & lay more eggs Thanks 7L. I really hope the Nu-Stock works to help my chickens with feather growth around their vent area. I applied it on some this evening & will try to apply to the rest of the flock tommorrow.

I fed my first serving of FF to my girls when I got home from work yesterday. I has been fermenting on my counter for 48 hours. They loved it!! Is it not a good idea to feed them late in the afternoon? I leave for work at 5am ... its stilll dark out. DH lets them out around 8am to free range till I get home around 5pm (they have access to pellets all day in the coop if they wish to eat it). I'm just wondering if I need to re-think this new feeding routine ....... maybe its not a good idea for the girls to have a full crop too close to bedtime. Or does that matter?

I fed my first serving of FF to my girls when I got home from work yesterday. I has been fermenting on my counter for 48 hours. They loved it!! Is it not a good idea to feed them late in the afternoon? I leave for work at 5am ... its stilll dark out. DH lets them out around 8am to free range till I get home around 5pm (they have access to pellets all day in the coop if they wish to eat it). I'm just wondering if I need to re-think this new feeding routine ....... maybe its not a good idea for the girls to have a full crop too close to bedtime. Or does that matter?
Full crop is good at bed time. They poop in their sleep. Sounds like little bombs falling from the roost.

I am laughing so hard. I never thought of them as 'little bombs falling from the roost' !!!!!!!!
gig.gif
I usually grab a couple of my chickens off the roost just before beddy bye & look them over I check her vent for bugs etc. I always feel her crop & comment to her that hey girl you should sleep good tonight because your crop is full. Take a light inside the coop at 2 in the morning & shine it on them it really sounds like bombs going off they all start pooping .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom