Do you like roosters?

• Yes

Votes: 106 87.6%
  • They are Ok

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
I just got a new flock a couple weeks ago. It's been almost a year since our last died of old age. In our last flock we had a black giant rooster. Man was he a jerk! He would chase us like no tomorrow! He would puff up and attempt to attack us the moment we walked out our front door! In this new flock, we got another black giant rooster, which I was very nervous about. however , our one now does not approach and is very reserved. He seems relaxed and pretty tame for the most part now ... What a relief!!!

My EE Roo Elvis is sooooo sweet. Everyone warned me to not pet him or let him on my lap, and I believe they were right to advise that, cause a lot of roos go rogue and get mean, but fortunately not Elvis.

He is great about keeping
20170719_200356.jpg
the flock together and safe. He is the most gentle of the entire flock when eating out of my hand. He hops on my knee and hangs out with me, even if I have no food, and he lets me pet and pick up the girls, with no concern (not so with my hubby - he flaps his wings and crows, but does not attack when my husband comes into the coop).

After getting that advice I DID change one thing, but I don't know if it mattered - I stopped walking (well, rolling, most of the time in my wc) around him (or any of them, for that matter). I go straight where I want to go without slowing or stopping so they know to move out of my way.

My EE Roo Elvis is sooooo sweet. Everyone warned me to not pet him or let him on my lap, and I believe they were right to advise that, cause a lot of roos go rogue and get mean, but fortunately not Elvis.

He is great about keeping View attachment 1085827 the flock together and safe. He is the most gentle of the entire flock when eating out of my hand. He hops on my knee and hangs out with me, even if I have no food, and he lets me pet and pick up the girls, with no concern (not so with my hubby - he flaps his wings and crows, but does not attack when my husband comes into the coop).

After getting that advice I DID change one thing, but I don't know if it mattered - I stopped walking (well, rolling, most of the time in my wc) around him (or any of them, for that matter). I go straight where I want to go without slowing or stopping so they know to move out of my way.
I have two roos like that! An old english game bantam mix and a japanese bantam mix. Their names are Frosty and Huckleberry. :)

I love roosters! The one we have now is a Partridge Plymouth Rock. He's so handsome, and really a great gentleman, too. I love his chivalry - he always calls the girls over when he finds treats and gives it to them instead of eating it himself. Last year, when we had some young ones, a hawk appeared, and our rooster ushered all the girls and kids underneath the deck, and he stood out in front of them, ready to protect them or die trying. He's never attacked or been aggressive towards any of us humans, in fact, he's quite well behaved. I feel like it's just natural to have a rooster in the flock. Very watchful and protective of the ladies, the way it should be!

I love roosters! The one we have now is a Partridge Plymouth Rock. He's so handsome, and really a great gentleman, too. I love his chivalry - he always calls the girls over when he finds treats and gives it to them instead of eating it himself. Last year, when we had some young ones, a hawk appeared, and our rooster ushered all the girls and kids underneath the deck, and he stood out in front of them, ready to protect them or die trying. He's never attacked or been aggressive towards any of us humans, in fact, he's quite well behaved. I feel like it's just natural to have a rooster in the flock. Very watchful and protective of the ladies, the way it should be!

I agree - it feels natural to have his stewardship. I am more comfortable with the flock free ranging with him out there.

InstagramCapture_51ae152f-5461-4653-bdea-63f6b25dde63.jpg

I have a mixed flock of 50+(chickens,ducks,turkeys,geese,guineas) and my New Hampshire boy rocky is the undisputed tippy top dog. Him and his flock of 6 hens get first dibs on everything. He's very nice to humans and other animals he basically minds his own business if you leave him alone. He just has one simple rule don't mess with him or his hens or all hell breaks lose. I've seen him take on roosters,turkeys,geese, cats, humans, a dog and a opossum. He has the heart of a lion. Yet I have never seen him attack when unprovoked and for no reason. He doesn't even mind the other roosters, birds, or any animal or human for that matter around him aslong as they don't challenge him or upset his girls and when they do he puts them in their place. hands down the best rooster i have ever had temper and personality wise.

Attachments

• InstagramCapture_51ae152f-5461-4653-bdea-63f6b25dde63.jpg
    InstagramCapture_51ae152f-5461-4653-bdea-63f6b25dde63.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 2
I think I already posted some pics of Napoleon but here are some more:
I love that second one, he's like, "HEY! What are you doing?"
I had to give this pretty guy away along with his two brothers. He is an Ameraucana Columbian Rock and liked to think he was the boss. He would grab my pant leg when i walked by and i would just laugh because he was small with a big attitude.
This is Estello (was Estella). Had to give him away too, but he was really sweet with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom